Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jasonbim

Power BI 3D Visual: Memory Allocation Limitation

I was told that Visuals in Power BI are limited to consuming 4GB of ram memory. I have a large 3D file (Architectural Model) to be visualised in Power BI. My PC has 32GB Ram and not running other heavy application. When I load in the 3D file into Power BI visual developed by third party, the application freeze and crashed shortly after. The visual developer told me is a known limitation from Power BI visual. Is there a way for me configure the visual to higher memory allocation? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jasonbim ,

First, you can analyze the memory usage of this 3D visual in Power BI Desktop using Performance Analyzer,SQL Server Profiler or DAX Studio.

Monitor report performance in Power BI

yingyinr_0-1656052237377.png

Analyze memory usage in Power BI to improve performance

And Power BI memory limit is related to the following factors (Import mode):

• In Power BI Desktop - limited to your PC RAM (which is shared with other opened programs as well)
  • In Power BI Service - limited to RAM of the capacity where you store your report (Shared, Premium and Embedded). If the report located in a shared capacity, the user has 1-3 GB of RAM in this case. Each specific visual in Import mode requires it, and when you press refresh dataset in web then usage multiplies 2 times. And for embedded and premium capacity, you can check the below list.yingyinr_1-1656052840167.png

Last, please review the following official documentation to know .

How capacities function

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jasonbim ,

First, you can analyze the memory usage of this 3D visual in Power BI Desktop using Performance Analyzer,SQL Server Profiler or DAX Studio.

Monitor report performance in Power BI

yingyinr_0-1656052237377.png

Analyze memory usage in Power BI to improve performance

And Power BI memory limit is related to the following factors (Import mode):

• In Power BI Desktop - limited to your PC RAM (which is shared with other opened programs as well)
  • In Power BI Service - limited to RAM of the capacity where you store your report (Shared, Premium and Embedded). If the report located in a shared capacity, the user has 1-3 GB of RAM in this case. Each specific visual in Import mode requires it, and when you press refresh dataset in web then usage multiplies 2 times. And for embedded and premium capacity, you can check the below list.yingyinr_1-1656052840167.png

Last, please review the following official documentation to know .

How capacities function

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.