Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bastienlin_
Helper II
Helper II

Power Automate button - export pages to pdf or pptx problem

Hello, I am posting here because I got no reply in Power Automate Community.

I wanted to add a button to my PBI report to extract pages from this dashboard to PDF and send it to me by email.
The problem is that the filters I apply on the published version are not taken into account. For example when i select values in Slicers about the Date, I want it to be displayed on my extracted pdf version of my dashboard. Nevertheless it isn't the case as I still see the default state of my dashboard (the state when it is published into the PBI Service): I don't see that I selected a date on my slicer .

Did I miss something in my flow ? I only have 3 steps: 1. click on the button, 2. Export to fil for PBI (PDF or PPTX) 3. Send email.

Bastienlin__0-1654246234824.png

Thank you for your help !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ReportLevelFilter works just like URL filters which are explained here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-url-filters

If you can dynamically construct a string like this example:  "Store/Territory in ('NC', 'TN')" and pass it in the ReportLevelFilters it will filter your report accordingly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
KiranHosakote
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @Bastienlin_ 

Unless you have a specific reason to use Power Automate, you can automate the selection of dynamic filter and slicer values at report run-time entirely within Power BI. See https://medium.com/p/bfebd39d4c84 for details.

KiranHosakote
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @Bastienlin_ ,

See this article for automated export of Power BI reports with filters and slicers applied to PDF / PPTX using BI Helper. 

https://medium.com/bi-helper/burst-your-power-bi-reports-838ab593f7bc

This tool works with a single Power BI Pro license. 

Bastienlin_
Helper II
Helper II

Hello, I am posting here because I got no reply in Power Automate Community.

I wanted to add a button to my PBI report to extract pages from this dashboard to PDF and send it to me by email.
The problem is that the filters I apply on the published version are not taken into account. For example when i select values in Slicers about the Date, I want it to be displayed on my extracted pdf version of my dashboard. Nevertheless it isn't the case as I still see the default state of my dashboard (the state when it is published into the PBI Service): I don't see that I selected a date on my slicer .

Did I miss something in my flow ? I only have 3 steps: 1. click on the button, 2. Export to fil for PBI (PDF or PPTX) 3. Send email.

Bastienlin__0-1654246234824.png

AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

Hi @Bastienlin_ ,

The "export to file" API will always export the report in it's saved state.

You can't just make changes to the report without saving it, and expect the API to export it with your changes.

If you want to apply filters you can add filter to the request. For filters and slicers you can use bookmarks

Hello @AmosHersch,

So it is impossible to expect the "export to file" to be dynamic depending on the selections we do in the different slicers of the report ?
It is necessary that the print button take into account what we select in the slicers for the user...

Thank you for your answer !

@Bastienlin_  that's right, unless you have the Power BI report embedded in your own app, and then you can use Power BI Javascript API to capture bookmark of current state of the report, and provide that bookmark in the API request.

Hi @AmosHersch,

Do you know if we can use a solution by including the fields in the Power Automate visual ? 
For example I tried if I can get different Dates by triggering the flow with my button, without saving the report and it worked, I tried several times and I received emails with different date.
With this step:

Bastienlin__0-1654765733603.png
By doing it 2 times with 2 different dates without saving my report, I am able to get the 2 values I selected:

Bastienlin__4-1654766130982.pngBastienlin__5-1654766165197.png

I thought I could do the same but putting this "Element" Field or "Entity" Field in the ReportLevelFilters Filter from the Export to File step, but it doesn't filter the report:

Bastienlin__3-1654765936940.png

1. Do you know if I can use this Element field to make the Export to File dynamic with what the user select without saving it ?

2. And do you know how the ReportLevelFilters Filter work ? I really thought it would work like this...

ReportLevelFilter works just like URL filters which are explained here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-url-filters

If you can dynamically construct a string like this example:  "Store/Territory in ('NC', 'TN')" and pass it in the ReportLevelFilters it will filter your report accordingly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors