Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SebastianTamayo

Power Apps visual how to select environment and app by parameters - Deployment Pipelines Integration

Hi all,

I am developing a Power BI Report that uses several Power Apps visuals so final users can add some comments into the report.

Additionally, I have set up a deployment pipeline to facilitate the deployment from development to test and production workspaces by using parameters to redirect the dataset sources to the DEV, TEST and PROD databases. Also, the Power Apps in use are being deployed from DEV to TEST and PROD (Power Platform) environments by using Solutions.

SebastianTamayo_0-1669804380136.png

With this set up, the report is deployed in the next environment and its dataset sources are redirected accordingly, also the power apps get deployed into the next environment. But the power apps visual in Power BI can not change its environment or application according to the environment the report is in.

My issue comes when trying to use a parameter in the Power BI Report to select the Power Apps environment and Application for the Power Apps visual, to automate this redirection when deploying from one workspace to another.

SebastianTamayo_1-1669804380138.png

After researching this topic, it does not seem to be a feature to achieve this, but I was wondering if any of you had ever encountered this issue and how you might have worked around it. @JordanImran and @Anonymous already asked this question in the past but recieved non correlated answers, hoping to improve that or at least provide them with the following idea.

A possible workaround I have thought about is having each Power Apps visuals triplicated in separate hidden report sections, linked to each environment (DEV / TEST / PROD). Then use an “index” style report section with a button to access the Power Apps sections. Then use a measure in the button “redirect to” logic that uses the parameter (which changes when deploying to another stage) to select which section to redirect the user to (DEV / TEST / PROD).

The problem with this work around is that we will end up with a report that is constantly connected to the three Power Apps environments, independently of the real stage it is in. 

Any help or ideas are very much appreciated, thank you all.

Sebastián Daniel Tamayo Guzmán.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SebastianTamayo ,

Please check if it hit any following limitation, you can find the details in this official documentation.

yingyinr_0-1669885593705.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft , thanks for your fast reply.

This limitation list does not contain any point related to the issue I am trying to work around.

The highlighted text in your image is about triggering a refresh on the report's dataset from a Power App visual. I am not trying to refresh any dataset, I am trying to redirect the Power App visual to a different environment and application, depending on a specific Power Query Parameter.

Looking forward for further discussion on this specific topic.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.