Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

westerdaled
Frequent Visitor

Power Apps Integration with a BI Report: can we automatically pass in system values e.g. report ID

We have a requirement to embed the same Power App I am building in a number of BI reports .  Would be good if the we could also pass in metadata such as report id or report url as well as the fields we have selected . This I could pass to row in another data source.

Looks like PowerBiIntegration is limited to the fields we select only .

Otherwise, I think we will neeed to put some sort of  user friendly Id label on the report , make this Report Id a mandatory field in the Power App and hope the users enter the correct Id .

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

This I could pass to row in another data source.

smells like a red flag.  The formula firewall will not be happy about that.
Also note that "external" PowerApps come with limited functionality when used in a Power BI visual. Only "internal" (ie created from within Power BI)  Apps have the full integration experience.

@lbendlin wrote:

This I could pass to row in another data source.

smells like a red flag.  The formula firewall will not be happy about that.

Ah sorry it is my clumsy wording. No red flags or formula police necessary!!!!  What I am referring to is getting the user to capture details regarding the report such as the report url .  After validation, I simply pass the values to my data source via a flow hooked up to a stored procedure . Just testing this now. 

@lbendlin wrote:

Also note that "external" PowerApps come with limited functionality when used in a Power BI visual. Only "internal" (ie created from within Power BI)  Apps have the full integration experience.

You you do raise an interesting point:  could I replace the above canvas app (form) with an interactive Power BI App? Could I then embedd this app in my report and allow it interrogate any metadat such as the Report Url  Again this would need to call the flow / stored proc as this the contract I am working to.

It's a great idea.  I don't think that is possible at the moment but I'll do some tests.  In the meantime please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.powerbi.com

@lbendlin wrote:

It's a great idea.  I don't think that is possible at the moment but I'll do some tests.  In the meantime please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.powerbi.com

Done! Feel free to up vote : Microsoft Idea (powerbi.com)

I poked around a bit but the "PowerBIIntegration"  object only seems to have a ".Data"  attribute. There's no trace (as far as I can tell) where the data came from.  Maybe if you examine the app code download it may reveal itself.  This here URL is less than helpful

Set up Power BI integration - Power Apps | Microsoft Docs

Yes I agreee . Even If I was to unpack the canvas app , I am not sure how I could get to any info in the data object.  It is an interesting idea tho. I wonder if we could calll on jQuery to see if we can extract details from the report. 

I have seen docs covering adding the BI Report to canvas app and also a model driven app, but this does seems be moving away from what should be a simple requirement.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.