Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

naj
Helper I
Helper I

Possible to programmatically assign a premium capacity to new group?

Hi!

Is it programmatically possible to assign a premium capacity (e.g. A sku) to a new group created using the REST API (e.g. the GroupsExtensions.CreateGroupAsync Method).

Kind regards,

NAJ

4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@naj wrote:

Hi!

Is it programmatically possible to assign a premium capacity (e.g. A sku) to a new group created using the REST API (e.g. the GroupsExtensions.CreateGroupAsync Method).

Kind regards,

NAJ

@naj

AFAIK, it is not supported as this moment. You can submit your request at Power BI Ideas and vote it up.

Could you be more specific on the scenario to explain why you need the such REST API?

@Eric_Zhang

as suggested in various power bi posts it is suggested as an ISV to have a power bi embedded workspace per client. If you have several 100s or 1000s clients in your solution with power bi embedded one should not manually have to map all workspaces to premium capacities.

@naj - any chance you have seen updates to this? We have the same scenario!

@faerewatson - it seems the REST API now supports this operation -> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt829293.aspx

I haven't tried the function yet. However, the description matches our requirement 🙂

The Assign to Capacity operation assigns the workspace specified in the request uri to the capacity specified in the request body. To perform this operation the user must be a workspace admin and have permissions (admin/assign) to the capacity.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.