Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

douglasfabiano
Frequent Visitor

Performance of Power BI for Large Projects

Hello people,
We are starting to use Power-BI and we are facing some difficulties and wanted to share with you, and who knows have some help.
We are a software house and we will make available a solution of B.I. To our customers in our application through Power-BI embedded.
As we work with data in real-time, that is, this data changes constantly, we had to use the option Direct Query, and that's where we started facing a great difficulty in relation to performance.
For each click on any of the dashbords/graphics, Power-BI runs multiple selects in the database, which takes time to render the reports to the end user.
When we got it by direct query, we figured it would fetch the data when rendering the report and then work in memory, but unfortunately that's not what it does.
We think of using Power-Bi with the import option, but as we use the embedded option, it would have to update the report every day and upload it, which makes it impossible to do so.

To solve this question, I would suggest:
1-power-bi with the option direct query should update when rendering the report and then working only in memory.
2-power-bi with the import option should have an option for the end user to be able to update the report.

In my opinion Power-BI is a great tool, but it seems to me for small projects or few data, or am I wrong?

I think about this because of the limitation of 1,000,000 rows only in the selects, because a large BI processes much more information.

Case someone wants to check the report, has an access here: http://93.188.162.218/power/bi.php

Thank you all and sorry my English is not very good.

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@douglasfabiano wrote:

Hello people,
We are starting to use Power-BI and we are facing some difficulties and wanted to share with you, and who knows have some help.
We are a software house and we will make available a solution of B.I. To our customers in our application through Power-BI embedded.
As we work with data in real-time, that is, this data changes constantly, we had to use the option Direct Query, and that's where we started facing a great difficulty in relation to performance.
For each click on any of the dashbords/graphics, Power-BI runs multiple selects in the database, which takes time to render the reports to the end user.
When we got it by direct query, we figured it would fetch the data when rendering the report and then work in memory, but unfortunately that's not what it does.
We think of using Power-Bi with the import option, but as we use the embedded option, it would have to update the report every day and upload it, which makes it impossible to do so.

To solve this question, I would suggest:
1-power-bi with the option direct query should update when rendering the report and then working only in memory.
2-power-bi with the import option should have an option for the end user to be able to update the report.

In my opinion Power-BI is a great tool, but it seems to me for small projects or few data, or am I wrong?

I think about this because of the limitation of 1,000,000 rows only in the selects, because a large BI processes much more information.

Case someone wants to check the report, has an access here: http://93.188.162.218/power/bi.php

Thank you all and sorry my English is not very good.

@douglasfabiano

Besides DirectQuery and Import mode, for Power BI service, there's actually another solution. You can create dataset and push data via REST API.

As to Power BI Embedde in your case, for refreshing purpose, those two listed key features are required, which are not implemented yet. You could check and vote them up.

1. Allow in-place data model refresh in embedded PowerBI.
  2. Power BI Designer API

The first feature could allow to refresh pbix in imported mode while the second could allow refresh the pbix and re-upload it to your work space in a programing way.

Originated by the answer, but as the MS team has not yet released these features that you mentioned and nor do we have a forecast, it follows a few more observations:

Alternatively we are using PowerBI with direct query and RLS -Row Level Security, which makes the system very slow. As it seems to me.
1-There is no DBA accompanying the development of POWERBI, because the queries are not performative, especially when using the IN.
2-It seems to me that the system does not support a large volume of data when using the direct quey option with RLS.
3 - Even using RLS, you should always filter in buffers, and not go to the database with each click of the mouse .. (here a DBA would go crazy).

In MS Team, when can we count on this functionality?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.