Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

saurabh_2020

Passing Filters from Web UI to the embedded PowerBI Report

Hello PBI Experts, 

My team is working on developing a front-end Web application UI with embedded PowerBI reports. We are providing 5 global filters for the user on front end. The user can filter the reports from the filters in the front end, which gets passed on to the powerBI from backend. 

Problem: The client has asked to add 3 more global filters with one specific filter, denoting store_id,  having around 3000 values. it will be great if you could help me to know the following:

1. Are there any limitation for the number of filters and also the values we can pass-on from the front-end to PowerBI?
  2. How many filters can we apply within PowerbI? Any limitation within that?
  3. For the below process used to pass-on filter from front-end to powerbi, I am not sure how the back-end process is working. So, is the powerBI using a dax query to fetch the filter details from front-end or is it that the selected filter-value combination is being directly applied in the Filter section in powerBI from front-end? 
  4. Any potential performance issue in context of loading of powerbi report if so many filters are applied? 

Process Used: We are embedding powerbi in react using powerbi-report-component library. The filters are passed on to PowerBI using the following code 

this.report.setFilters(arr).then((res,rej) => {​​​​​​​​

}​​​​​​​​).catch(function (errors) {​​​​​​​​

console.log(errors);

}​​​​​​​​);

}​​​​​​​​

}​​​​​​​​

where arr captures the filtered values

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @saurabh_2020,

#1, AFAIK, power bi does not limit the general filter usage.

#2, I check the document but not found they mention the limits of filter usage, so I think the limit probably existed on the request content size.

#3, I'd like to suggest you take a look at the following links to know more about power bi javascript filter and configurations:

PowerBI-JavaScript / Filters 

Embed Configuration Details 

#4, It obviously will cause the performance issue when you try to send large amount filter values,

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @saurabh_2020,

#1, AFAIK, power bi does not limit the general filter usage.

#2, I check the document but not found they mention the limits of filter usage, so I think the limit probably existed on the request content size.

#3, I'd like to suggest you take a look at the following links to know more about power bi javascript filter and configurations:

PowerBI-JavaScript / Filters 

Embed Configuration Details 

#4, It obviously will cause the performance issue when you try to send large amount filter values,

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.