Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rludwig21
Regular Visitor

PaginatedReportEmbedForbidden: Embedding Paginated report in BI report

I have a Power BI Report and a Paginated Report on the same report. The BI Report table (on left) displays fine.

However, the paginated report shows the following error pictured and the Dev Console shows: {"error":{"code":"PaginatedReportEmbedForbidden","pbi.error":{"code":"PaginatedReportEmbedForbidden","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}
PBIError.PNG

I can plug my report above into the Embedded Developer Sandbox and it works just fine... what am I missing here?

Capacity: Power BI Embedded - A1 SKU (Gen2) 
Instruction PDf used here for Embedding for Customers (app owns data)
https://github.com/PowerBiDevCamp/DOTNET5-AppOwnsData-Tutorial 
Ensured the Workspace has the AD Service Principal as Admin access, along with enabling the Tenate Setting under Developer for Allow service principals to use Power BI APIs

Also tried using the .Net Core 3.1 example here with same result: https://github.com/microsoft/PowerBI-Developer-Samples/tree/master/.NET%20Core/Embed%20for%20your%20... 

Any help is much apreciated here, thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

Hi @rludwig21 ,

I believe the issue is related to the way you are generating the embed token. There are 2 endpoints for generating an embed token, and the one which you should be using for your case is the newer one which generates a token for multiple resources (because you have a paginated report inside a Power BI report).

Please see this example for how the generate token request should look like: Embed Token - Generate Token - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

Thanks,

Amos

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

Hi @rludwig21 ,

I believe the issue is related to the way you are generating the embed token. There are 2 endpoints for generating an embed token, and the one which you should be using for your case is the newer one which generates a token for multiple resources (because you have a paginated report inside a Power BI report).

Please see this example for how the generate token request should look like: Embed Token - Generate Token - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

Thanks,

Amos

Thank you Amos! The link above resolved my issue after adding the addition report guid.

The Tutorial I was using didn't have the additional method in the service.

Hola, 

me podría indicar donde agrego el guid para solucinar el problema?. 

Gracias. 

Un saludo.

v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rludwig21 ,

It seems that you are using A1 SKU?  Embedding Paginated Reports on Generation 1 required at least an A4 SKU and with Gen 2 you can embed paginated reports from A1 SKU onwards. Please check which Power BI embedded Generation are you using.

Besides, here are some considerations and limitations :

Considerations and limitations of Embedded paginated reports - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Jianbo,

We are using a Gen2 as mentioned above and I have read through the limitations but nothing appears to be out of place. I can actually embed a the paginated report by itself fine, just not inside a BI Report. Real Problem is parameters/filters cannot be passed via JavaScript to the paginated reports which is a requirement for my company. Hence why I'm using a Power BI Report with the pagninated report within the BI report as it can be used to do so only this way.

It works fine as shown here in the dev sandbox and parameters pass as shown below from the sandbox.

rludwig21_0-1668780839520.png

Just not sure why mine is getting blocked... we are paying for the A1 SKU (Gen2) assigned to the workspace:

rludwig21_1-1668781361026.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.