Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sedric1
Helper III
Helper III

Paginated Reports -> Text Truncates when using "Export to PDF" specifically

I am trying to figure out why PDF files truncate long text boxes as shown here:

sedric1_0-1636392848785.png

I was expecting some sort of word wrap and growth of the section to fit based on the amount of text. Interestingly when viewing in report builder and in the export to word, the full text displays as expected. MS word output below:

sedric1_1-1636393001473.png

Settings wise- I have "can grow" and "can shrink" both set to Yes.

I also have these text properties checked on the text box. 

sedric1_2-1636393081046.png

Since it only happens for PDF files, I assume there is some other element in play. Any ideas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sedric1
Helper III
Helper III

For anyone following this post, it seems I am not the only one experiencing this issue. There is a similar post with a workaround found on stackoverflow https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12922665/first-textbox-in-tablix-cell-defeats-cangrow-of-other-t...

I just tested this out and it does prevent the text from cutting off by adding a 2nd rectangle within the rectangle to capture page 2 elements.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sedric1
Helper III
Helper III

For anyone following this post, it seems I am not the only one experiencing this issue. There is a similar post with a workaround found on stackoverflow https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12922665/first-textbox-in-tablix-cell-defeats-cangrow-of-other-t...

I just tested this out and it does prevent the text from cutting off by adding a 2nd rectangle within the rectangle to capture page 2 elements.

sedric1
Helper III
Helper III

Actually going back to this with more findings: This textbox is contained within a parent rectangle. When I remove the textbox from the rectangle, the size of the box grows as required. I suspect that the rectangle / container has a maximum height that it does not grow beyond. I say that because text boxes towards the top of the rectangle have quite a bit of text and they expand to page 2 once the problem text boxes are running out of space. So I guess the question is whether or not the rectangle is supposed to cap at a certain length? Especially if a page expands beyond 2 pages.

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sedric1 ,

I'm sorry I wasn't able to reproduce your problem. I tried exporting the paginated report to a word or pdf file respectively, and the long text in it is displayed properly. My report settings are the same as yours. What is the version of Report Builder you are using? Please check the screenshots below shows my paginated report settings and the Report Builder version information. 

Report builder versionReport builder version

Report setttingsReport setttings

Export to PDF and Word fileExport to PDF and Word file

I checked the screenshot of your exported pdf file and found that any text longer than one line will be truncated (including the field Policy Description and Downtime Procedures). Please double-check the settings of the paginated report to see if there are some settings that affect the display of the pdf file...

Exported PDF, truncated data not shown in the exported report but correctly shown in form view.

SSRS Text cut off export to PDF

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft - thanks for taking the time to look! Here is my report version builder first, which appears to be a hair off. 

sedric1_0-1636650787461.png

The 2nd thing I wanted to confirm with you is that I also tried to build the same exact field on a brand new report and also couldnt reproduce this issue which is puzzling. It would seem that some report level setting is causing this or a pdf level as you mentioned.
one of those pages you listed mentioned page dimensions as page width > body width + left + right margins. I just confirmed left and right margins are .25 each, and the body with is 10.46875in. The page width is 11 inches so i believe that to be ok.
We confirmed the cangrow properties are on and the allow height to increase checkboxes are on for the checkboxes.
Maybe another piece of information is that the textboxes in the body are all contained within a rectangle. Not sure if that makes a difference but the rectangle itself is the same height of the body.  So still wondering what is special about this report file that might cause the truncation but not quite sure - although still digging before completely rebuilding it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.