cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thamera

PBIVIZ failing on MakeCert (Deprecated?)

I'm trying to get started with creating visuals. Following the microsoft instructions for setting up my dev environment.  At the set for setting up the certificates, I'm running the PBIVIZ command (pbiviz --install-cert) but it keeps erroring on  "could not find MakeCert.exe".  Other microsoft docs indicate that makecert is deprecated but PBIVIZ is still using it.  Anyone found a solution to this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RicoZhou
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thamera ,

Please make sure you have install the latest version node.js and pbiviz package.

As far as I know, creating and installing a certificate process describes running a PowerShell command that launches the Certificate Import Wizard

So please make sure you have install the latest version PowerShell and all packages you need.

For reference: Installing PowerShell on Windows

Note:  a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Certificate is required. 

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
RicoZhou
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thamera ,

Please make sure you have install the latest version node.js and pbiviz package.

As far as I know, creating and installing a certificate process describes running a PowerShell command that launches the Certificate Import Wizard

So please make sure you have install the latest version PowerShell and all packages you need.

For reference: Installing PowerShell on Windows

Note:  a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Certificate is required. 

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
November 2022 Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2022 updates!

Microsoft 365 Conference â__ December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference - 06-08 December

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.