Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Flipper
Frequent Visitor

PBI Embedded Licensing Question

Hi Experts - I have a couple of PBI embeded questions for you!

Where I currently am:

I've developed a report which is doing everything I want it to.
I've then deployed the report into a new workspace, which grants the service principal access (via registered app).
I've taken the embedded code from the MS git repository and updated this with all the necessary code.
I've deployed this code in a web app which I can then call via an iframe.

All of the above is working and I'm happy with the output - so whats the question right?! Well, I have two:

1) The above essentially allows me to publish a report that can be consumed by anyone I want, regardless of whether they have a PBI Pro licence. I don't think I am breaking any licencing agreement because I'm basically using MS code, but can anyone see anything in the above that I shouldn't be doing?

2) If I can do the above, what is the purpose of a PBI Embedded reserved instance? I can see you can allocate a workspace as "Embedded" (Which I assume links to your reserved instance), however I don't appear to need it to actually make PBI embedded work? My assumption is that the PBI Embedded reserved instance is needed when you have many multiple concurrent users, however the solution I have above will be running a report in the PBI service, which should be able to handle lots of concurrent users as well? So in short, I'm not sure what spending £500pcm minimum is actually giving me?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

To track the usage of your free embed tokens and make sure you don’t need to buy a capacity yet, you can use the just-released API. The API will return the percentage of usage from the total amount.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

1) 

The Embed option doesn't automatically permit users to view the report. View permissions are set in the Power BI service.

In the Power BI service, you can share embedded reports with users requiring access. If you're using a Microsoft 365 Group, you can list the user as a workspace member. For more information, see how to manage your workspace in Power BI and Microsoft 365.

2)

That depends on your app.Not only can you embed a single report, you can embed multiple reports.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embed-sample-for-your-organization?tabs... 

In case you are looking to integrate Power BI with your custom or any other software, you will need a Power BI embedded pricing and license. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embedded-analytics-power-bi 

Hi V-lianl-msft

Firstly, thanks very much for taking the time to respond to my question.

With regard to point one, I understand what you're saying, but I'm not using the embed code generated through the PBI service. I'm taking the embedded code from the MS GIT repositary and using that to create an app - I've stuck that code into a web app and am using that web app to serve my PBI report to anyone I want. 

So in essence, my first question is not about how to make it work (Its working perfectly and I have the app built dynamically so that I can add whatever reports I choose), rather am I doing anything that MS would object to. I'm pretty certain that the answer is I'm doing nothing wrong, but just wanted to check!

With regard to point two - I've done some further research into this one. Due to the fact my app is working perfectly, it proves to me that I don't need a reserved PBI instance to make PBI embedded work. However, from what I can tell, the problem that I am going to encounter is that without purchasing an embedded resource, MS will limit the number of tokens that I can generate.

Unfortuately, MS documentation on this point doesn't seem to exist, so I don't know if the limit is a finite number, a limited allocation per day / hour or some other limit. If anyone can enlighten me on that point that would be much appreciated!

Thanks

To track the usage of your free embed tokens and make sure you don’t need to buy a capacity yet, you can use the just-released API. The API will return the percentage of usage from the total amount.

Thanks!

I think that is exactly what I needed 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.