Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JRe5777
Advocate I
Advocate I

Opentext Content Server

Hello Guys,

Does anyone know if its possible to connect PowerBI to Opentext Content Server for data retrieval?

If so, can you explain how?

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14
giftedbrain
Frequent Visitor

Hi @JRe5777 ,

I've been able to access OpenText Content Server's backend/underlying MS SQL Server Database using SQL Credentials and was able to read all the tables, if this solves your problem.

Cheers

This would be interesting. How did you structure your sql query for that?

giftedbrain
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous Can you please share the solution you found with screenshots please? What is it that you were trying to get out of Content Server to report on?

Thanks heaps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used documents in OpenText from Power BI via the OpenText REST API... but the problem I have is I need to hard code the API credentials in the Power Query code and I haven't found a way to integrate with Power BI's credential manager. The Power Query I used to open an Excel file from OpenText was (substitute in the username, password and appropriate OpenText API URLs and document ID for your org):

let
    GetJson = Web.Contents("https://<opentext auth server>/authentication/credentials",
        [
            Headers = [#"Content-Type"="application/json"],
            Content = Text.ToBinary("{""user_name"":""<user>"", ""password"":""<password>""}")
        ]
    ),
    FormatAsJson = Json.Document(GetJson),
    Ticket = FormatAsJson[ticket],
    DocID = "1234567",
    ExcelFile = Web.Contents("https://<opentext api server>/api/v1/nodes/" & DocID & "/content",
        [
            Headers = [#"OTDSTicket"=Ticket]
        ]
    ),
    ExcelWorkbook = Excel.Workbook(ExcelFile)
in
    ExcelWorkbook

If someone has a better way that doesn't have hard coded credentials I'd really appreciate that.

This might be a long shot, but we have implemented something similar to the above and it is working perfectly fine in Power BI Desktop, but once published to Power BI Service, it fails to refresh.

It appears to attempt a refresh but times out after 20 minutes or so. Editing the credentials in the dataset settings will only save if you select skip validation.

Could you please elaborate on the query you are using? I am only looking to take snapshots of content, as I am preparing for a migration, and would like to view a report on how content is structured.

Re: your question on hard coded credentials - you can store the credentials within parameters and then reference your parameter in place of the hard coded credentials:

Content = Text.ToBinary("{""user_name"":"""&SPUserName&""", ""password"":"""&SPPassword&"""}")]),

So SPUserName is the name of the parameter that stores my username and the Current Value of the parameter is my hard coded username.

@Anonymous @K_Mennekes @JRe5777 @caznaran @Anonymous 

Can anyone please share some screenshots on how to do this using Power BI REST APIs in here?

Also, did anyone come up with a better solution on how to report on OpenText Content Server using Power BI?
Kindly, share your knowledge.

Thanks & regards.

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for your suggestion. Can you please give me the steps here so that I can try to connect Power BI Desktop to my Content Server 10 Service Pack 2 (Content Server 10 Update 2014-12 (version 10.0.0.3187).

Anyone out there has a better solution to connect Power BI Desktop to Content Server?

My requirement is... to report an audit log/trail of all the User's Firstname, Lastname, Name, Last Login and any other such details so that I can Deactivate User if they haven't been accessing Content Server system since 01 Feb 2021.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Kind regards, C

K_Mennekes
Regular Visitor

Hi guys,

we need a solution for this as well. Enterprise Connect is not possible as a replacement. It is only for local usage and not in combination with the PowerBI Report Server.

Any updates on this topic?

Thanks, 
Kevin

Hi,

if somebody still needs help with this. We build a power bi connector for OpenText extended ECM. Have a look, maybe this helps: Power BI Connector - Turnpikes

caznaran
Helper I
Helper I

I need that as well

@caznaran - Can you please share if you found a solution to this, please? Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

We need this as well. We were using WebDAV links which no longer work.

However, I am able to browse to Excel files using Windows Explorer > Enterprise Connect > Content Server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.