Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OLAP Model - View Relationships

Hey Power BI Community,

I have been wondering how my report readers can view the relationships of the tables I built in Power BI Desktop when they use Export Data -> "Analyze in Excel"? I understand that this downloads a file with an OLAP connection to the data model. The thing is I want my viewers to be able to understand the relationship between the various tables I published. When I go to PivotTable Analyze -> Calculations -> Relationships, "Relationships" is greyed and does not allow me to click on it. How do I view this relationship with an OLAP model connected to a Power BI Dataset?

Thanks,

Gui

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

As the document said, this file existed the connection which protects and provides by power bi with live mode.

Analyze in Excel 
I don't think you can simply break protect and keeping the live connection to do some further analysis with the underlying data model and relationships.

For instead, I think you can consider getting data from Azure blob storage that power bi service used to storage the datasets.

Power BI Security#power-bi-architecture 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can use tools like DAX Studio to run a query against the DMV. That will show you the relationship details.

lbendlin_0-1608829617624.png

I think it will be easier to just send a snapshot of the data model to your users (or include it as a page in your Power BI report)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.