Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alienvolm
Helper III
Helper III

Newbie question - Custom connector for O365

Hello, 

I apologize in advance for the very basic question, but I've been tasked to find out how I can create a custom connector for Power BI that connects to Office 365 and retrieves usage data. 

I have seen some reporting solutions that are based on PowerShell calls. Other people told me that the only way of doing that is via Graph, which seems quite complicated.

Can someone roughly explain to me how that would work? Any links are appreciated. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @Alienvolm,

Unfortunately, office 365 seems not to provide other methods to get data except graph API. For this scenario, you may have to use the corresponding API to get data. 

Notice: if your custom connector is designed based on the API, it also shared the limitations which raw API listed.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User IV
Super User IV

@Alienvolm - Have you reviewed this? Microsoft 365 usage analytics - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Docs. It indicates that there is a PBIT available where you can use Power BI Desktop with the usage analytics.

Also this: Customize the reports in Microsoft 365 usage analytics - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Docs

---------------------------------------

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi Greg, 

Yes, I'm familiar with the Usage Analytics and the CQD Connector for Teams. I need an alternative as they both have several limitations and performance issues. 

Thanks! 

HI @Alienvolm,

Unfortunately, office 365 seems not to provide other methods to get data except graph API. For this scenario, you may have to use the corresponding API to get data. 

Notice: if your custom connector is designed based on the API, it also shared the limitations which raw API listed.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thank you for the clarification... 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Power BI Dev Camp - June 24th

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

Top Kudoed Authors