Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Alienvolm
Helper IV
Helper IV

Newbie question - Custom connector for O365

Hello, 

I apologize in advance for the very basic question, but I've been tasked to find out how I can create a custom connector for Power BI that connects to Office 365 and retrieves usage data. 

I have seen some reporting solutions that are based on PowerShell calls. Other people told me that the only way of doing that is via Graph, which seems quite complicated.

Can someone roughly explain to me how that would work? Any links are appreciated. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @Alienvolm,

Unfortunately, office 365 seems not to provide other methods to get data except graph API. For this scenario, you may have to use the corresponding API to get data. 

Notice: if your custom connector is designed based on the API, it also shared the limitations which raw API listed.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Alienvolm - Have you reviewed this? Microsoft 365 usage analytics - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Docs. It indicates that there is a PBIT available where you can use Power BI Desktop with the usage analytics.

Also this: Customize the reports in Microsoft 365 usage analytics - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Docs

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg, 

Yes, I'm familiar with the Usage Analytics and the CQD Connector for Teams. I need an alternative as they both have several limitations and performance issues. 

Thanks! 

HI @Alienvolm,

Unfortunately, office 365 seems not to provide other methods to get data except graph API. For this scenario, you may have to use the corresponding API to get data. 

Notice: if your custom connector is designed based on the API, it also shared the limitations which raw API listed.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the clarification... 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.