Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Salesman0Gil
Regular Visitor

New to Power BI, and need an assist

I am very new to Power BI, so please excuse my ignorance... 

I have created a report from linked excel data in Power BI desktop. I have then successfully published this data to my Power BI online. 

I have then been successful in creating a link for a SharePoint intergration. 

Everything looks awesome! Problem - Online items do not update from Excel. The Excel sheet is from my OneDrive if it assist. 

I have also tried saving/publishing from Desktop Power BI, which does update. 

Please let me know of any insights into this. 

5 REPLIES 5
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Which OneDrive you are trying to connect to?

For OneDrive for Business, follow the article below:

Use Onedrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop

Please note:

To use a OneDrive for Business file as a data source in the Power BI service, with Service Refresh enabled for that file, make sure you select OAuth2 as the Authentication method when configuring your refresh settings. Otherwise, you may encounter an error (such as Failed to update data source credentials) when you attempt to connect or to refresh. Selecting OAuth2 as the authentication method remedies that credentials error.

For Personal OneDrive, please follow the steps mentioned by v-yuezhe-msft in the thread below:

Power BI support for OneDrive Personal as data source

For Data refresh, see:

Data refresh in Power BI

Regards,

Michael

Where does one "select OAuth2 as the Authentication method when configuring your refresh settings".  I can't seem to find that setting.  Thanks.

Connect with me in LinkedIn: https://pr.linkedin.com/in/adolfosocorro
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AdolfoSocorro

Thanks for the information. 

I can update in Power BI desktop, but it does not update in the web version. 

To further simplify, I made a new report in the web version. I use "get data" then choose file, then one drive for business, then the choice for automtically updating. It is still not updating.

I am not seeing authentication method setting. On the desktop the update works, online I see OneDrive refresh, and that is turned on. 

What kind of "update" that you would like to have under Power BI Service?

If it is the updated report, then you need to publish the report  (every time you make changes through Power BI desktop) to Power BI Service through Power BI Desktop,

If here you mean the Excel data, it is mentioned within my previous posts, which has two situations:

1. Excel Data was Connected locally through Power BI Desktop Get Data->Excel, in this way, you need to install and configure the gateway to make the data refresh available under Power BI Service, after the report published into Power BI Service,

2. Excel Data was connected by the methods I posted  in my previous post, doing it in this way will not need the gateway, the data would be auto-refreshed after report published,

By the way, if here you are using the Power BI Service Get Data to connect to the Excel file directly, then the file added will have no relations with the report created under Power BI Desktop, which means if the report under Power BI Desktop updated, it will have no influence with the Report created through the Excel file uploaded directly in Service.

The Data would be kept in sync as the excel field should be the same one.

If the information above still can't help in your scenario, then please explain with more detailed steps, so that I can offer a better suggestion based on it.

Regards,

Michael

Thanks for the info. I ended up abadoning Power BI desktop, and worked strictly on the web version. It does update, the issue is it takes ~4 hours to do so. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.