Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mash
Regular Visitor

New Visual not showing up in Dropdown list in Power BI Playground

Hello,

I downloaded the github repo and was able to run the Playground app successfully.  Next, I installed the extension to create a template for a new visualization.  In the newVisual.ts file, it says to uncomment code so that you can see the newVisual in your dropdown list in the Playground.  I have done so, then rebuilt the solution, and still do not see it in my list.  Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?  Seems pretty straightforward but maybe I am missing something.  It would really be helpful if the PowerBI team could offer some documentation that addresses how all these different files work together.  After spending 3 days on this, I am still not clear how the PowerBIVisualsPlayground is calling all the other projects.

/* Creating IVisualPlugin that is used to represent IVisual. */
//
// Uncomment it to see your plugin in "PowerBIVisualsPlayground" plugins list
//
module powerbi.visuals.plugins {
export var newVisual: IVisualPlugin = {
name: 'newVisual',
capabilities: samples.newVisual.capabilities,
create: () => new samples.newVisual()
};
}

1 REPLY 1
mash
Regular Visitor

So I was able to get it to work.  The instructions on github (found here:  https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-visuals/wiki/Hello-IVisual) are kind of lacking.  

Here is what I ultimately needed to do to get it to work:

Follow the "Steps" provided by user getsetbro....

https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-visuals/issues/270

For some reason, it doesnt properly build in VS2015 but it does build properly when using gulp.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.