Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help: RLS Embedded app owns data for multiple users in different roles

Hi all,

I've put alot of time into figuring out whether or not PBI supports RLS for multiple external users (non-ad) in different roles without having to set a table similar to the one in the documentation: 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-embedded-rls/

I'm working on a case where I have a report which I want to embedd into a website that external users (100+) can access and they should only be allowed to see their data in the graphs. The report loads data from a multidimensional cube. However, it wont be alot of extra work to make the report load data fstraight from a table/view instead. 

e.g. 10 different users in role A , 10 users in Role B etc..

What's kind of makes me belive it does not is the following scentences: 

"The GenerateToken API accepts a list of identities with indication of the relevant datasets. Currently only one identity can be provided. Support for multiple datasets will be added, for dashboard embedding, in the future. For RLS to work, you will need to pass the following as part of the identity." 

I am greatfull for any help or link to documentation or similar threads in forums.

Regards,

4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

I've put alot of time into figuring out whether or not PBI supports RLS for multiple external users (non-ad) in different roles without having to set a table similar to the one in the documentation: 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-embedded-rls/

I'm working on a case where I have a report which I want to embedd into a website that external users (100+) can access and they should only be allowed to see their data in the graphs. The report loads data from a multidimensional cube. However, it wont be alot of extra work to make the report load data fstraight from a table/view instead. 

e.g. 10 different users in role A , 10 users in Role B etc..

What's kind of makes me belive it does not is the following scentences: 

"The GenerateToken API accepts a list of identities with indication of the relevant datasets. Currently only one identity can be provided. Support for multiple datasets will be added, for dashboard embedding, in the future. For RLS to work, you will need to pass the following as part of the identity." 

I am greatfull for any help or link to documentation or similar threads in forums.

Regards,

@Anonymous

I don't understand your concern. The table in that tutorial are use UserName(). With a table like that, you can create only one role and distinct users by their username.

As to your requirement, different users have different roles, you don't have  to create that similar table. You just set roles in Power BI desktop and generate individual tokens with particular roles for each user. 

So, I don't quite get your proble, could you please do more clarification?

How can we generate various tokens for various users?

say I have 200 users linked to 2 roles (A and B), how can use right the code for those users in order to show the exact report A/Q to there username (currently I am using App owns data scenerio but wasnt able to achive this as required) Do i need to create separate code for each user here currently I am doing this
{ new EffectiveIdentity (username: "abc@domain1.com",
roles: new List<string> {"RLS ClientID 256"},
datasets: new List<string> {"4cb6c656-b437-4769-ae98-ac0e673635ce"}) });
}
else
{
// Generate Embed Token for reports without effective identities.
generateTokenRequestParameters = new GenerateTokenRequest(accessLevel: "view");
}

Please do reply to this, its kinda important

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply and sorry about the confusion. I will try to express my self a bit clearer. 

Lets say there are 100 users and 10 roles. What each role is allowed to view depends on several filters (e.g User1, user2 and user3 belongs to Role A which is only allowed to see a certain product category sold and country = 'Spain' ). Since my report loads from multidimensional model, the roles are defined in the the model and not in Power BI desktop. 

How will I go about to mapp each user to roles? Must I generate separate tokens for each user?

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone, please?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors