Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Help Writing Formula with Multiple Parameters

Hello,

I'm relatively new to Power BI and would appreciate some help with a calculation. I have around 12 parameters and have created individual measures for each one. The objective is to create a chart that dispalys an average price of a single field as long as no parameters are filled in. However, when the any of the parameters are filled in I would like for the measure to adjust by calcualting the current price by the parameters that are filled in. I am essentially trying to create one measure that is calcualted using all the parameters and therefore would adjust if/when any parameters are populated. I've tried an IF statement however I am limited on the number of logic test I can record. Can anyone provide some insight how I can write the calculation for this? Any help would greatly appreciated.

-Emmanuel 

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

if you want to have a calculation to select between multiple slicers or what-if parameters you can use the SWICH formula. It performs basically the same function as nested if statements

SWITCH(
    <expression>, // the value that each <value> will be evaluated against

<value>, // to be matched against <expression>, if <value> = <expression> then perform <result>. This is practically the same as when an IF statement is true
    <result>, // the result if <value> = <expression>

<value2>, 
    <result2>,

…,

<else>
)

To evaluate if a slicer is selected you can use the ISFILTERED() formula. 

// in an if statement
IF(
   ISFILTERED([column name of the slicer column]),
     <result>, // if the slicer is selected
     <result> // if the slicer is not selected
)
// in a switch
SWITCH(
     TRUE(),

ISFILTERED([column name of the first slicer column]),
     <result>, // if the first slicer is selected

ISFILTERED([column name of the second slicer column]),
     <result>, // if the second slicer is selected

<result> // if no slicer is selected>
)

To add values from a slicer in the <result> part of the formula you can use the SELECTEDVALUE() referencing the column used in each slicer. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.