Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple Power BI Embedded data locations

I'm creating multitenant SaaS application, part of which is analytics module based on Power BI Embedded(app owns data).
To comply with different regions sovereignty laws I'm obliged to store data physically in the regions where users are originated. 

So I need multiple instances of Power BI embedded in different regions, let say Canada, US, Germany, and Australia.

Now the question how I could achieve this?

Looks like I need:

1. Dedicated AD tenant in each region.

2. The separate instance of Office 365 tied to this AD domain located in the seeded region. (Is it possible to have multiple Office 365 instances for the same organization?).
3. Now I could buy Power BI Pro licenses in the needed location.
4. Instantiate Power BI Pro in the needed location.

Is it correct set of steps?
Could someone suggest what the best option for the second step? As I don't need any function of Office 365 except managing Power BI Pro users? Do I need to buy multiple Office 365?
I need to have at least one AD to manage users and centrally control security.

P.S. I could say that tying Power BI Embedded to Office 365 makes embedding scenarios overly complex. I'm using Office 365 not because I need it for work, but just because of these artificial limitations.

3 REPLIES 3
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Please check the thread below:

Multi Tenant Embedded

For more information about FAQ in Power BI Embedded:

Power BI Embedded FAQ

Regards,

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Michael,

Sorry but none of these article have information I need.
I have no problem with realization of multitenancy. When I assign different Power BI users I may have different connection string, so I may connect to the same database with different connection string and use SQL Server RLS.

My problem is to have multitenant multi-instance solution.

Having US instance of Power BI for Europe clients is completelly unacceptable solution for us, and having Power BI instance in Europe for US users also bad option. Data(including data in motion inside Power BI) should be stored in region from which users originated.
So I need for the first version of my app at least two locations: USA and Europe.
USA
- Power BI Embedde instance
- Power BI Pro embeedding account
- SQL Server instance
Europe 
- Power BI Embedde instance
- Power BI Pro embeedding account
- SQL Server instance

According to answer from this topic http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Change-power-BI-location/m-p/398957#M11879 I cannot have individual Power BI Pro users in different locations. All users of Power BI Pro from the same AD domain(same Office 365) will have same region.
This means that for the same company I need:
2 Azure AD tenant instances in Europe and US and assigned Azure subscriptions for them.
2 instances of Office 365 - how to aquire two  instances of Office 365 for the same company in two regions?  What the most cost effective option of Office 365 as I don't need any features of Office 365 except Power BI Pro liceses and Admin portal to manage them?
Now I can launch 2 dedicated instances of Power BI Embedded in two locations.

If we take into account the fact that this everything was needed just for the sake of getting two Power BI Embedded instances in different regions I could say that Power BI Embedded architecture design is terrible. It is not Azure friendly and not ISV/developer friendly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like I have figured out how to solve my problem.
1. I need to have multiple Azure AD tenants.
2. Then I need to have multiple Office 365 tenants(one in each needed region) within same enterprise agreement. Like here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365admin-mso_dep365/how-to-create-multi...

3. Purchase Power BI Pro licenses in each needed tenant.

4. Then I should be able to create Power BI Embedded instance in the different regions as soon as I supplied correct Power BI Pro license. 

Step 2 looks for me completely artificial architectural limitation, but I can't overcome it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors