Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kpatterson2
Regular Visitor

Modified Power BI custom visual and generated new pbiviz file, but not seeing changes

I'm learning about creating custom visuals, so after doing the bar chart tutorial, I downloaded the WordCloud custom visual (https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/show/WordCloud1447959067750) and modified it slightly just to see if I could see the changes reflected back but it looks the same as always. I modified capabilities.json to change the label "Data colors" to be "Data colors 2" on the formatting section that you see when you want to change the colors it uses.  Then I changed the 2500 limit to 50000.  I generated a new pbiviz file (ran "pbiviz package" in the node.js command line) and it updated the pbiviz file in the /dist folder. When I imported it into Power BI desktop and powerbi.com, it still said "Data colors" and seemed to be using the 2500 limit, although that one is harder to tell. What am I doing wrong? Is there another place to change this? I searched the whole project for "Data colors" and that's the only spot.  I had a coworker import it and he did not see the changes either. 

Change #1 in capabilities.json:

"dataPoint": {
            "displayName": "Data colors 2",
            "properties": {
                "fill": {
                    "displayName": "Fill",
                    "type": {
                        "fill": {
                            "solid": {
                                "color": true

Change #2 in capabilities.json:

"categorical": {
                "categories": {
                    "for": {
                        "in": "Category"
                    },
                    "dataReductionAlgorithm": {
                        "top": {
                            "count": 50000  //changed this from 2500
                        }
                    }
                },
                "values": {
                    "for": {
                        "in": "Values"
                    }
                }
            }

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@kpatterson2,

It seems that you are facing the same issue in this thread(http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Tweaking-an-existing-Custom-Visual-the-change-is-successfu...).

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@kpatterson2,

It seems that you are facing the same issue in this thread(http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Tweaking-an-existing-Custom-Visual-the-change-is-successfu...).

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, the steps in that solution worked. I had to change the guid before packaging it again.  Given that before I did this, when I uploaded it, it asked if I wanted to update the visual, I got the impression I could update an existing one. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.