Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

seemak
Frequent Visitor

Migration From SAP BO to Power BI

Hi everyone, i am about to be involved in the migration from SAP BO to power BI, can anyone guide me on the same, if they have done a similiar project or have any documentaion regarding the same.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @seemak,

In my opinion, I think connecting the database and design report by power bi should be simple than migrating to these databases and products.
For this scenario, you can try to use rest API to get data from SAP BO, they did not require additional payment for premium license:

Solved: Pull data from a REST API Authentication - Microsoft Power BI Community

SAP BusinessObjects BI Universe Connector Technical Guide

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
theophilegros
Regular Visitor

Hello Seemak, 

I'm just discovering your message. If its still a pain for you, my answer. 

We are working on such migrations: SAP BO to Power BI, fully automated.
We've done this on thousands of dashboards for one of our clients, it works pretty well :-), whether Universe dashboards and intelligence, and also layouts migrations. It's almost a button press, with very few regressions. 

The methdology (works also for SAP BO > Looker)  : 

https://ellipsys-bi.blogspot.com/2023/06/si-vous-envisagez-de-quitter-sap-bo.html

Hello team,

As said, if for you or for your company, you are looking for a solution to migrate an SAP BO platform to Power BI (template, content...), we have built an engine for this. Implemented for a large company.
Automated migration from SAP BO to Power BI 

To avoid complexity persisting after migration, we are moving the sequence of variables from SAP BO dashboards to Big Query or Azur SQL (others). Also to persist data that will be used in Power BI and only produce it once for many dashboards.

SAP BO to Power BI: Optimize the migration! 

At your disposal to explain this in detail 😁
Théo / Ellipsys

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @seemak,

What type of migration did you mean? Direct export data to power bi side or fully migration the business and product to power bi? 

For the first one, you only need to find the export data feature or api, then you can export data externally and import these records to the power bi side.
For the second one, they are not simply to do. You need to rebuild these reports and dashboards and fully replace them with MS platforms and products. In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you ask your admin to contact to MS team to create a ticket about business migrations to get further support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi 

i think there is no direct connector for SAP BO in power bi, what is understand is in BO it's usually too many procs etc are created but you can rationalize them in power bi and create a single overall semantic model, Then the client don't need to pay for BO. then we can build in reports in PBI. 

Hi @seemak,

In my opinion, I think connecting the database and design report by power bi should be simple than migrating to these databases and products.
For this scenario, you can try to use rest API to get data from SAP BO, they did not require additional payment for premium license:

Solved: Pull data from a REST API Authentication - Microsoft Power BI Community

SAP BusinessObjects BI Universe Connector Technical Guide

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Thank you so much for this information.

You cannot expect to be able to move from BO to a free version of Power BI. You will need to use Power BI Premium, and the cost will likely be comparable to BO.  What other reasons do you have for the request?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

When you say migration - are you expecting to be able to lift and shift the BO universes to Power BI Datasets/Dataflows/Dataverse?  Or are you ok with starting over?  To what extent have you been using the actual reporting capabilities of BOE?  Or were your users only running extracts?  Is the team that designed the universes part of the transition project?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.