Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

archuleta28
Resolver I
Resolver I

Memory error: Memory Allocation failure | Not enough memory to complete this operation

Hi,

Power BI beginner here. I keep getting this error message everytime I save and close my Power Query editor: "Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Memory error: Memory Allocation failure . Try simplifying or reducing the number of queries." 

The current data is relatively very less compared to what I have previously worked on (large datasets and complex DAX) still I get this error message everytime I refresh my dataset or save my pbix file:

vaibhavius_0-1664284924735.png

Funny thing is, my friend has the exact same pbix but there is no such memory issues on his system (with same system specifications as mine).

I have tried to check memory consumtion but it doesnot seem to be the case.

Could anyone help me out with this please? 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
archuleta28
Resolver I
Resolver I

Just for a reference, updating Power BI Desktop to latest release has solved my issue.  - if this can help anyone. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
archuleta28
Resolver I
Resolver I

Just for a reference, updating Power BI Desktop to latest release has solved my issue.  - if this can help anyone. 

Hi @archuleta28 ,

It's glad to hear that your problem has been resolved. And thanks for sharing your solution here. It will help the others in the community find the solution easily if they face the same problem as yours. Thank you.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
archuleta28
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @v-yiruan-msft ,

Thanks for your prompt answer!

I am using Power BI Desktop and the file size is 55MB.

I have gone through your suggestions but unfortunately still the issue persists. Also, I checked again and this report works fine on other machine (Same system specification). 

Error while Refeshing:

vaibhavius_1-1664371735002.png

Error while saving pbix:

vaibhavius_0-1664371718825.png

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @archuleta28 ,

What's the size of pbix file? Did you open it in Power BI Desktop or Power BI Service?According to the error message, it seems that the memory is not enough. But as you said your friend can open it successfully, then the size of pbix file is OK. Please try to follow the methods in the following links to make some adjustment, later check if you can open the pbix file successfully.

Power BI Memory error allocation failure

1. If you are using the service on a Virtual Machine, check if the allocated memory is enough for the operations.
  2. Since you are getting this error, try to allocate more memory to the machine.
  3. You can also try to better utilize the available memory by optimizing your data model.
  • You can check the Internet for guides on optimizing your data model.

Memory error: Memory Allocation failure.

I went into the query editor and removed as many columns as possible and the refresh started working again.  Also, I received this nugget of wisdom from Support:

From a memory consumption perspective it is better to add columns in the report developer using the add new measure/column function for optimized performance.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.