Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBiFun
Frequent Visitor

Map visualization stopped working

Our company dashboard published on powerbi.com, with a map visualization, has been working great till last Friday. All of sudden the map visualization on the dasbhoard stopped working. When I checked the report on Power BI Destop, the map visualization still worked fine, but not online at powerbi.com. I tried a few things, like republishing the report to powerbi.com, recreating the map visualization, changed the way how the columns are categorized or not categorized, and so on. But no luck.

Does anyone know what changes have been made to powerbi.com? Any fixes? I have tried the tricks suggested by others back in the middle of this year. But it didn't work:(

The timing of the problem was really bad because we were demoing the feature to stake holders, trying to convince them to use PowerBI instead of other BI tools. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@PowerBiFun

There're changes in Power BI Service and Desktop. Currently there's a known issue for the Map visuals using Lat/Long in text type.

The product team hardened code around the Bing Maps control. The Map Control code is downloaded live every time you open a report page that contains a map, and recent changes by Bing started throwing exceptions if we passed a non-numeric Lat/Long value. We now check the column metadata and require it to be numeric. A few customers have complained that their maps stopped working recently, and we have decided to relax the constraints a bit. However, due to holiday deployment lock-down, the web won’t be fixed until early January and

If this is the case, as a workaround, please change the Lat/Long to numeric type and republish. 

By the way, as to "work in desktop", I guess you may not use the latest Power BI desktop?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@PowerBiFun

There're changes in Power BI Service and Desktop. Currently there's a known issue for the Map visuals using Lat/Long in text type.

The product team hardened code around the Bing Maps control. The Map Control code is downloaded live every time you open a report page that contains a map, and recent changes by Bing started throwing exceptions if we passed a non-numeric Lat/Long value. We now check the column metadata and require it to be numeric. A few customers have complained that their maps stopped working recently, and we have decided to relax the constraints a bit. However, due to holiday deployment lock-down, the web won’t be fixed until early January and

If this is the case, as a workaround, please change the Lat/Long to numeric type and republish. 

By the way, as to "work in desktop", I guess you may not use the latest Power BI desktop?

How do you change the longitude and latitude?  Can you please be specific?  Step by Step is what is needed here. 

I see the latitude and longitude fields but they are not editable for me.  Nothing happens when I click into them and what would I do specifically if I could?

Thank you @Eric_Zhang! This is exactly the cause of the problem. After I changed the longitude and latitude to decimal, it started working again. 

The version of my Power BI Desktop is 2.52.4921.682 64-bit (November, 2017).

Are there any way that I can receive notification for this kind of changes in the future? 

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.