cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JERVIK Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Making API data sources work in power BI web

So I have a table with parameters for changing date ranges in API call.
I followed answers here and other resources and succesfully managed to gather data iteratively. Then I published my report in workplace and detected that it is not possible to refresh dataset. I googled again, stumbled upon reasons and solutions and tried to implement.
So I have upgraded my function-as-parameter so power BI web should be able to validate url:

let
    Source = (param as text) =>
let
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("api_url_part",
    [
        RelativePath="api_url_part" & some_parameter & "api_url_part" & param,
        Query=
        [
            Headers=[Accept="application/json", Authorization="Token xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"]
        ]
    ]
)),
    by_date = Source[by_date],
    #"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(by_date),
    #"Expanded Value" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Value", {"session_count", "visitor_count", "desktop_visitors_count", "mobile_visitors_count", "tablet_visitors_count"}, {"session_count", "visitor_count", "desktop_visitors_count", "mobile_visitors_count", "tablet_visitors_count"})
in
    #"Expanded Value"
in
    Source

My other query that iterates API calls:

let
    step_1 = Date_params[date_param],
    step_2 = List.Transform (step_1, func_p()),
in
    step_3

Before I used Relative Path and Query everything worked on PowerBi desktop, only in web I had problems. Now when I run the second query I get this error message:

Expression.Error: 0 arguments were passed to a function which expects 1.
Details:
    Pattern=
    Arguments=List

If I enter parameter manually, first query is able to retrieve data so it means problem lies in and I need to change second query as well but I cannot figure out how.

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
JERVIK Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Making API data sources work in power BI web

I made a mistake, I passed underscore as parameter before, this is actual mistake I get:

An error occurred in the ‘’ query. Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type Record to type Text.
Details:
    Value=Record
    Type=Type

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 1,256 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: