Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sana539

Looking for Approval System

Hi community, 

I am looking for an option in Power BI for approval sytem. When I say approval system it means someone will not be able to publish report without the permission of manager/CEO or other higher authority. 

E.g I have build a report XYZ and I want to publish it directly to the workspace but in between there is an approval system where my manager will aprove my report then only it will be visible on my workspace.

Will it be possible in Power BI. If so then How?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sana539 

Power BI doesn't support an approval system. There are two kind of workspace in Power BI, My Workspace and App Workspace(classic workspace/new workspace).

My Workspace:

You can publish a report into My Workspace, if you have a Power BI account.

Classic Workspace:

You can publish a report into Classic Workspace, if you are an admin or a member with edit permission.

New Workspace:

You can publish a report into New Workspace, if you are an admin or a member or a contributor in this workspace.

So in addintion to  lbendlin, if you want to publish to My Workspace, there is no workaround to achieve your goal. Or you can ask your admin to publish by themselves and you don't have a Power BI account.

If you want to publish to App Workspace, you can be a viewer in this workspace, then you don't have permission to publish report. Then send your pbix by mail to your admin who has permission to publish.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sana539 

Power BI doesn't support an approval system. There are two kind of workspace in Power BI, My Workspace and App Workspace(classic workspace/new workspace).

My Workspace:

You can publish a report into My Workspace, if you have a Power BI account.

Classic Workspace:

You can publish a report into Classic Workspace, if you are an admin or a member with edit permission.

New Workspace:

You can publish a report into New Workspace, if you are an admin or a member or a contributor in this workspace.

So in addintion to  lbendlin, if you want to publish to My Workspace, there is no workaround to achieve your goal. Or you can ask your admin to publish by themselves and you don't have a Power BI account.

If you want to publish to App Workspace, you can be a viewer in this workspace, then you don't have permission to publish report. Then send your pbix by mail to your admin who has permission to publish.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Have yourself removed from the workspace.  That way you cannot publish anything.  The approval process will be a workspace contributor or admin reviewing the pbix you send them, and then deciding if they will publish it or not.

Also look into deployment pipelines.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.