Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

praivan
Regular Visitor

Licensing PowerBI Embedded for external users

Hello,

I have a question regarding PowerBI Embedded licesing.

I have a web-app that has classic username/password security. This web-app has around 70 non-PowerBI users, who enter their financial data, and basically the produce 10 tables of data that needs some kind of visualization/report with 100-300 rows of data per table produced.

We keep their data in the same table, and they can see only their data (based on username). We need to produce 25-30 various types of reports, where every user will see it's own set of data. 

My questions are:
- how much PowerBI Pro licenses do we need?
- is it mandatory for every user to have it's own license to see reports embedded (I've seen that answer is no, but I still want to check again)?
- do we need PowerBI Premium for this scenario (we would like to avoid it if possible)?
- since our data is on-prem only and most probably can't be migrated to cloud, is PowerBI embedded right fit for our solution?

Sorry for noob questions, but I haven't found precise answers for most of these questions and I want to be sure before we decide to invest in this product.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @praivan,

I would answer the last question first. It could be the key point of your questions.

4. To be simple, Power BI Embedded embed Power BI Service contents into the application of customers. Power BI Service is a cloud service, which means we need to upload the data to Power BI. The Direct Query mode won't store data directly.

1. That depends on your embedded mode. 

1.1 The embedding-for-your-organization, also known as "User Owns Data", asks everyone to have a Pro account.

1.2 The embedding-for-your-customers, also known as "App Owns Data", only requires one Pro account. Please refer more from other answers below.

2. No, the reason is the same as the answer 1.2. Another situation is "User Owns Data" with Premium capacity.

3. The power-bi-embedded capacity could be enough. It's mandatory and is one of the two choices for the scenario "App Owns Data". Please refer to #move-to-production.

Other references: embedded-faq#what-is-the-difference-between-power-bi-premium-and-power-bi-embedded.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @praivan,

I would answer the last question first. It could be the key point of your questions.

4. To be simple, Power BI Embedded embed Power BI Service contents into the application of customers. Power BI Service is a cloud service, which means we need to upload the data to Power BI. The Direct Query mode won't store data directly.

1. That depends on your embedded mode. 

1.1 The embedding-for-your-organization, also known as "User Owns Data", asks everyone to have a Pro account.

1.2 The embedding-for-your-customers, also known as "App Owns Data", only requires one Pro account. Please refer more from other answers below.

2. No, the reason is the same as the answer 1.2. Another situation is "User Owns Data" with Premium capacity.

3. The power-bi-embedded capacity could be enough. It's mandatory and is one of the two choices for the scenario "App Owns Data". Please refer to #move-to-production.

Other references: embedded-faq#what-is-the-difference-between-power-bi-premium-and-power-bi-embedded.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you very much, everything is much clearer for me now!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors