Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cgambino
Frequent Visitor

June 2018 Embedded reports for tiny organizations

Hey guys,

Like most of the community, the June 2018 pricing has really hit my client hard.

My client is an educational institution with 10-15 users. Currently, they are set up using Workspace Collections with embedded web reports. Reports are created using the desktop app, published to Azure, and are displayed via iframes to the user. The users do not know they are using PowerBI, they have no skills in authoring or modifying reports. They just go to the site and apply the filters which are authored for them.

I'm finding other posts mentioning that the cheapest for this mode is now going to be $750 / month. I've also seen that pro could work for $10 / user / month. Both of these options seem to be excessive for this application. What pricing model can I use now? Or have they been priced out of PowerBI?  If so, are there any other options out there that are mostly report rendering in Azure?

Thanks for any solutions or suggestions.
2 REPLIES 2
ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Truth be told, the low volume pricing for an embedded application is very uneconomic.  The A1 level pricing in Azure ($11K per year) does not support more than 15 minutes of active use by a single user before it reaches it's hour's capacity and effectively shuts down leaving x's on each visual that it will longer render.

And "scaling" is not active scaling.  If you "scale" from A1 to A3 for example with active users on your site...since, say A1 only supports a short period of single user activity so you choose to scale it up as you need it....the process goes like this:

A1 capacity stops (!)

A3 capacity is started up.

A3 capacity is available in 1 to several minutes....meanwhile site "fails" at any clicks of any slicer.

So you can see, it's certainly not active scaling.

The embedding pricing and "scaling" is really unfriendly to startups and small organiztions.

Tom

v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi,

The current Power BI Embedded pricing is documentated in the article below:

Power BI Embedded pricing

Plusing the Power BI Pro Account, it is around $750 / month for Power BI Embedded.

You could pause the capacity for price saving.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Programatically-start-stop-Azure-PowerBI-capacity-for-Powe...

Another blog for your reference.

Regards,

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors