Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

j-murray
Frequent Visitor

Issue with R plotly in pbiviz versions 4.0.6+

Hello,

I'm posting this for general visibility, I've also sent an email to PBI custom visuals support. I ran into the same issue as this post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Interactive-R-custom-visuals-not-displaying-in-Power-BI-D...

After exhaustive troubleshooting, I believe I have identified the issue. I rolled back my version of powerbi-visuals-tools and created/packaged the rhtml template for pbiviz versions 4.0.2 to 4.0.7. Here are the results:

jmurray_0-1669833878962.png

As we can see, the visual fails to render for versions 4.0.6+. I want to bring attention to this so that other users new to pbiviz do not go through the same experience as me and this other use. Happy to share additional details/clarify anything for interested parties.

6 REPLIES 6
rowrowrow2
Frequent Visitor

I tried powerbi-visuals-tools version 5.1.1 and it still doesn't work. I reinstalled version 4.05, which worked.

User02
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Could you explain a bit more please? - I'm havign the same issue but I'm not sure exactly what I need to do to correct it. My coding skills are not great, is there a step-by-step process for

-rolling back my version of powerbi-visuals-tools and

-creating/packaging the rhtml template for pbiviz versions 4.0.2 to 4.0.7 ?

Thanks!

Hey, sure happy to elaborate. I'll use the steps in this link as a reference to try and make this easier to follow: https://radacad.com/interactive-map-using-r-and-power-bi-create-custom-visual-part-1

In first step, I assume you've already downloaded a recent version of NodeJS so ignore that.  Next it discusses installing powerbi-visuals-tools using npm. Here we will make our first adjustment, modify the install line they use to: npm install -g powerbi-visuals-tools@4.0.5 

Now, certify pbiviz by executing: pbiviz --install-cert

This should launch a certification wizard and provide you with a passphrase in the command line that you'll need for one step in the wizard.

Once you've done these two things, you should be able to follow the guide (note the 'What is new in 2019' section) to generate a working rhtml template.

I think this should get you set up, but please let me know if something isn't working for you still.

Thanks for the reply.

I did all of that and I think it solved one problem but created another. While it now says the certificate is valid, I get the following error which must be related somehow.... Any idea how to solve this?

node.exe : error Package wasn't created. 2 errors found
At C:\Users\....\pbiviz.ps1:24 char:5
+ & "node$exe" "$basedir/node_modules/powerbi-visuals-tools/bin/pb ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: ( error Package... 2 errors found:String) [], RemoteException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

warn Please, make sure that the visual source code matches to requirements of certification:

Apologies for the late reply on this. If you are still struggling with this issue I would recommend checking out the solution posted in response to this post: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Custom-Visuals-Development/Local-valid-certificate-not-fou...
This should resolve your certificate issue. Hope this helps!

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @j-murray ,

Thanks for your sharing and contribution. It will help the others in the community identify the cause of issue and get a solution easily if they face the similar issue as yours. Thanks a lot~

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.