Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cyan
Helper I
Helper I

IsLatest date filter on a table column

Hello everyone,

I have applied a date filter (IsLatest) on a table column in Power BI Desktop report (through edit queries) then I published to power bi service, now the problem is that, when I open the report in power BI desktop and click the refresh button it gets me the right data (with the latest date filter applied), but when I look over the same report embedded in my application it shows the data as it was the day I published the report (the IsLatest filter is not being reflected). is this normal? and are there any workarounds? 

10 REPLIES 10
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @cyan,

Could you share more details please?

1. How did you create "IsLatest" in the Query Editor?

2. Which time zone do you have?

3. Did it show expected result in the Power BI Service?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

1) To create the IsLatest, first I converted a column that I have in my table in date-time format to Date format, then I added date filter by clicking on the button at the top right of that column > Date Filter > IsLatest.

FilterOnDate.PNG

2) My timezone is (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

3) In Power BI servie the data in the report stays in the same date as the day I published, meaning that IsLatest filter is not being applied on the report in Power BI Service, but it is applying well in the report in Power BI Desktop.

Is it normal that the mentioned filter is not being applied in the report on power BI service? any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft any updates on this topic?

Hi @cyan,

Sorry for the late reply. The Islatest is a relative filter that means it has nothing to with with today. It filters out the latest dates of the source table. 

1. If the column contains date and time, I would suggest create a new column with pure dates.

2. Did you refresh the data in the Service?

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I did create a new column with data type as pure date and applied the IsLatest filter on it, it works on power bi desktop but in Power BI service the filter in not applying.

Also I did refresh in Power BI Service, by clicking on the refresh button on the top of the report and also I did refresh on the Dataset level in power BI Service, but the filter is still not reflecting IsLatest date.

Is there another type of refresh in the Power BI Service that I should do? 

Thanks.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Do you think that the filter is desinged to work only on the local version but doesn't work when you publish to Power BI service? were you able to produce the problem?

Thanks.

Hi @cyan,

I think I found the root cause. Did you set up Schedule Refresh in the Power BI Service? Or refresh the dataset manually in the Power BI Service? If you want to show up the latest data in your embedded application, you have to refresh the dataset first.

Is_Latest_date_filter_on_a_table_column

Best Regards,

Dale

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I have scheduled refresh, plus my report is connected to the source with Direct Query, also to make sure, I did manual refresh for the dataset like you mentioned, the dataset is updated because I have other pages in the same report where I don't use the IsLatest date filter and those pages are updated but the page with IsLatest Date filter keeps showing old data.

Is the IsLatest filter working for the test report you created? are you able to see the data filtered by the latest date in Power BI Service? If it's working for you do you think it's not working for me because I am using Direct Query!!? 

Thanks.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Is the IsLatest filter working in the sample report you created on power BI Service? any updates?

Thanks.

Hi @cyan,

Sorry for the late reply. The Islatest is a relative filter that means it has nothing to with with today. It filters out the latest dates of the source table. 

1. If the column contains date and time, I would suggest create a new column with pure dates.

2. Did you refresh the data in the Service?

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.