Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to set 'Don't Summarize' as default

I am building my customized Visual.  However, when load the table we don't want the data to be summarized.  Is there a way to set the default to be 'Don't Summarize'?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

The dataRoles allow essentially three kinds of behaviours for fields (Grouping, Measure and a combination of the two). All will basically aggregate to the lowest specified level of grain without some kind of lower-grain field to prevent aggregation. This is the same as Power BI internally and creates challenges if you need the most atomic level of data by default.

One way around this is to introduce a 'grain' field to ensure that your dataViewMapping does not aggregate to a higher level than you want your visual to manage. A couple of custom visuals that use this pattern are Box and Whisker Chart and Violin Plot (both of which need all available data to generate distribution statistics). This is also something that Charticulator does in its custom visual export to ensure that all data rows are fed into the visual.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas 🙂

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

The dataRoles allow essentially three kinds of behaviours for fields (Grouping, Measure and a combination of the two). All will basically aggregate to the lowest specified level of grain without some kind of lower-grain field to prevent aggregation. This is the same as Power BI internally and creates challenges if you need the most atomic level of data by default.

One way around this is to introduce a 'grain' field to ensure that your dataViewMapping does not aggregate to a higher level than you want your visual to manage. A couple of custom visuals that use this pattern are Box and Whisker Chart and Violin Plot (both of which need all available data to generate distribution statistics). This is also something that Charticulator does in its custom visual export to ensure that all data rows are fed into the visual.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas 🙂

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.