Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

emma_s
Helper I
Helper I

Is it possible to extract the data from an embedded visual?

I know I can extract the data from a "dataSelected" event. But I'd like to get the data for a visual without this event being fired. Is this possible?

4 REPLIES 4
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Yes, it is possible.

Read more here:

Power BI Embedded: Get visual Data

API reference:

Export Data

Regards,

Michael

Thanks Michael. Currently the code in your second link gives the error "Export not supported for this visual":

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Export-Data-API-not-working/idc-p/405853#M24897

Hi,

Please review the limits for the Export Data API.

Quoted:

"

Limitations and considerations

• The maximum number of rows that can be exported using API to .csv is 30,000.

• Export using Underlying data will not work if the data source is an Analysis Services live connection and the version is older than 2016 and the tables in the model do not have a unique key.

• Export using Underlying data will not work if the Show items with no data option is enabled for the visualization being exported.

• If you have applied filters to the visualization, the exported data will export as filtered.

• When using DirectQuery, the maximum amount of data that can be exported is 16 MB. This may result in exporting less than the maximum number of rows, especially if there are many columns, data that is difficult to compress, and other factors that increase file size and decrease number of rows exported.

• Power BI only supports export in visuals that use basic aggregates. Export is not available for visuals using model or report measures.

• Custom visuals, and R visuals, are not currently supported.

• Power BI admins have the ability to disable the export of data.

"

Please check and make sure the Visual is not using any model or report measures, as it is currently not supported.

Regards,

Michael

Thanks. I had already checked these. If "report or model measures" means "measures", i.e, PowerBI-constructed columns - then no, i am not using them. The visual is neither custom nor R. I can export manually so I assume this is enabled. 

(PS. I think the wording of this list, e.g. "basic aggregates", could be made clearer.)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.