Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JeanPierre
Frequent Visitor

Is it possible to custom visualization based on echarts?

Hi everyone, 

I want to create a visualization based on the echarts, however I don't know if is it possible, because the power Bi custom visualization is in typescript and the code of echarts is not.

The echart visualization I want to do is on the link: https://ecomfe.github.io/echarts-examples/public/editor.html?c=pie-custom .

If is it possible, how do I import the code for typescript?

Can someone help me??

Thanks, 

JeanPierre.

6 REPLIES 6
MawashiKid
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

I haven't had the chance to dive too deep in echarts samples, though I would imagine
this could be achieved.
The big question is how...

I'd say the one key element to take into account when it comes to create ANY custom visuals
from EXISTING code,  is that you're NOT really coding some charts code which will sit in a Web page, but rather
a reusable visual component model which user will be able to manipulate for their convenience in a Power BI IDE environment.

So we all agree that it's a bit more subtle than just doing a Cut & Paste, then running pbiviz package
and expect everything to run in a snap.

Since echart is JavaScript then this shouldn't cause a problem as you should be able
to generate required both echarts and zrender libraries through npm and end up with required libraries

eCharts.png

then later add reference to those node_modules generated files in a similar way as Ignat mentioned above.

Still in order to be recognized by Power BI, your custom visuals MUST implement the IVisual interface
at some stage. The IVisual interface acts as the main driven engine so to speak.

So from there, you'll basically have two main options:

1- Either refactor the existing code in TypeScript and manage to recreate the logic.
     I would say that not only this approach requires to be fairly comfortable with TypeScript, you must also
     be able to fully understand how and why original code was created in first place in order to be able to replicate it
     in another pattern. Remember you're not really reproducing the code "as-is" in this case but rather the logic,
     which is a bit different in this case.

2- Second option, which I believe would be more convenient in your case - would be taking existing .js code and declare it
     through a TypeScript d.ts so that Power BI will recognize it.
     This operation may still need a bit of refactoring depending on the complexity of the chart code you're reproducing.
     Then from there I imagine you would then need to define a reusable method allowing to call and load the chart
     on demand - [passing the proper parameters in signature...].
     In order to allow user to connect data, you would than also would need to define a canonical data representation
     [categorical, table,...] which you'll use through dataViewMapping and use in combination with data conversion method.
    Finally for makeup finsihing touch... define a series of objects in capabilities.json

There ain't a lot of code sample available I'm afraid, though one I used as starting ramp was similar to Jon Gallant's 3 part series approach

http://blog.jongallant.com/2016/09/how-to-create-power-bi-custom-visual/

Code is taken from an existing d3.js library sample, though it should give you an idea how to manage each configuration steps.

If anyone has built a full working echarts sample then be my guest. Hope this helps.

@MawashiKid Thank yoou for the help.

Seeing these solutions, I tried to go another way and use google.visualizations lib.
But I still can't doing the visual.

Here, you can see my class visual.ts. The problem is that the code does not pass from the line "google.load('visualization', '1.0', {packages:['corechart']});"

Can you help me? Do you see something wrong?

image.png

Thanks,

JeanPierre.

Could you please share your source code in order to look into the issue deeper?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Hello!

Many thanks to Ignat for replies.

I am trying to solve the same thing.

I have installed the ECharts library using npm. Then I added typings of ECharts.

It works good, pbiviz compiles my sources without errors.

But I don't see anything on the developer's visual.

I put my code into try{} statement like:

try {
                    let myChart: ECharts.ECharts;
                    myChart = ECharts.init(chartDiv);
                }
                catch(exc){
                    console.log(exc);
                }

Then I have got the error in console: ReferenceError: "ECharts is not defined"
Browser does not see a types/declarations. Why?
What do I wrong?
Thanks in advance...

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Please try to use window["ECharts"] || window.window["ECharts"]

If it fails please share source code by sending an email to pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @JeanPierre,

This's possible. You just need to include all of necessary JavaScript files using externalJS property of the pbiviz.json file.

After that, you will be able to use the library with TypeScript. However, you might need to find TS typings to simplify development process and get IntelliSense.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors