Frequent Visitor
Accepted Solution

Interactive R custom visuals not displaying in Power BI Desktop

I tried several online tutorials on how to begin creating interactive R custom visuals (such as the link shown below), and followed all these tutorials carefully. 

http://radacad.com/interactive-map-using-r-and-power-bi-create-custom-visual-part-1

Every thing seemed to go as expected and according to the instructions, all the way to (apparently successfully) importing the packaged .pbiviz file as a custom visual into the set of available charts visible in the visualization pane of Power BI Desktop.

However, when I click on the newly available custom visual icon, only a generic empty chart tile is placed on the report page. 

The same unssuccessful end result happens no matter which sample interactive R custom visual I tried, including the one from the sampleRHTMLVisual template, which I copied and pasted below the script.r file:

source('./r_files/flatten_HTML.r')

############### Library Declarations ###############

libraryRequireInstall("ggplot2");

libraryRequireInstall("plotly")
####################################################

################### Actual code ####################

g = qplot(`Petal.Length`, data = iris, fill = `Species`, main = Sys.time());

############# Create and save widget ###############

p = ggplotly(g);

internalSaveWidget(p, 'out.html');

I am fairly good with R; and have successfully implemented many R scripts to run within Power BI Desktop, and have also published them onto the Power BI Pro online service displaying static R visuals.   However, I am a relative beginner with Power BI, and have not (yet) created any custom visuals.  I'm excited about the ability to create interactive R custom visuals in Power BI. 

Additional info: 
  • I installed the latest LTS version (8.12.0) of Node.js on my 64-bit Windows 10 Pro computer.
  • Running 64-bit R 3.5.1 on this Windows 10 machine.
  • All required R packages are installed.

Would appreciate assistance to overcome this hurdle.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Interactive R custom visuals not displaying in Power BI Desktop

Have you added data into the visual's Values as well? Even though it references a sample dataset and not the Power BI data, adding data to Values should trigger the visual to appear.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Have you added data into the visual's Values as well? Even though it references a sample dataset and not the Power BI data, adding data to Values should trigger the visual to appear.

Frequent Visitor

It works now.   Thanks for the hint.   I'm off to the races making R-powered Interactive Custom Visuals !