Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ala5245
Employee
Employee

Integrating R Shiny with Power BI

Is it possible to integrate R Shiny apps with Power BI? I know there is currently a preview version for R visualizations, but can I publish an R shiny app in a Power BI report/dashboard?

10 REPLIES 10
CarlesCG

Is this feature request in any timeline at all?

It is a pitty that these two great pieces of software don't play along well.

#justaskingforafriend

You can vote for that feature here!

Nevertheless, you can add a Shiny app as a IFRAME to a dashboard. That doesn't provide any interactions with other Power BI objects, but you can use it to enrich your information shared by a dashboard. (Or perhaps use Power BI as a kind of portal for Shiny apps by leveraging Power BIs functionality for permissions and sharing)

hello, thank u for your feedback, can u please explain how we can add a Shinny app as a IFRAME to a DAshboard in Power BI, Thanks 

sp3234
Regular Visitor

Is it still unavailable ?

this is corrent.

we do not supoprt Shiny servers

Sharon
Employee
Employee

Hi ala5245

Currently R Shiny apps are not supported in Power BI. This is bacause R Visuals require the script result as an image, rather than an HTML/JS file.

However this is on our backlog.

I hope this helps

Sharon

Rguy
Frequent Visitor

This post is a few years old, is this feature still on the backlog?  

This would be a great feature. I'd rather not have to pay for a yet-another-saas (i.e. shinyapps.io) to deploy shiny apps. My gut tells me there are a fair number of R developers out there who would make PowerBI a deployment option of choice if it served up Shiny apps.  The deployment options for Shiny are either limited or annoying (IMHO).  

I get that the PowerBI team have a massive list of feature enhancements. Maybe back in 2016, RShiny was less of a priority, but it's 2019 now and it has come a long way. I'll bet if the list was prioritized based on potential business value, integrating RShiny into PowerBI feature would surface much higher.  

Please don't string the developer community along.  Is the feature actually on the backlog, or is it unlikely to ever become a reality?  

Rguy
Frequent Visitor

I should have added to my post that PowerBI does render HTML visuals, as per this post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/interactive-r-custom-visuals-support-is-here/

Anonymous
Not applicable

What time frame we are talking about?

That is very good to know as I have customers asking about this now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.