Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

asmir
Regular Visitor

Incremental refresh - Partition within historical range refreshed

Hello All, I have problem with incremental refresh (PowerBI Premium). When creating first time a new partition (for example first time loading the data from today), the partition for today is created and refreshed. The partition from yesterday is also refreshed. That is fine, but now here is the problem, the partition for the day before yesterday is also refreshed. But in according to the defined policy it is not supposed to be refreshed.  But please note this happens only the first time when the partition for the day is created. After this if I trigger the refresh again only the partitions from today and yesterday are refreshed, the partition from the day before is not refreshed anymore. Hm...

I searched and tried different things but without success. I believe this is a bug. I am able to provoke it. It seems that the PowerBI looks on the amount of partitions. Because, if I manually create the partition before first loading of the data of a new day, the problem does not occur.

Can someone help me please?

20221006225843-Window.png

20221006225954-Window.png

2 REPLIES 2
asmir
Regular Visitor

Hi Rena, thank you for the reply. 
Regarding the query folding, yes I understand this, but I use flat files and query folding is not possible. But here in this thread the topic is not about the query folding or how to configure the increemental refresh.
Here I have the problem after I load the initial data into the dataset and after creation of initial partitions.

As described above, the problem occurs when the partition from incremental range rolls to the historical range. The problem is that this partition is also refreshed, but in according to the policy it should not be refreshed anymore.

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @asmir ,

First, incremental refresh is designed for data sources that support query folding. And most data sources that support SQL queries support query folding. Data sources like flat files, blobs, and some web feeds often do not

After the report be published to Service, it will perform an initial refresh operation on the dataset. And it will take quite a while to complete. During this period, the partitions created, historical data loaded, objects such as relationships and hierarchies are built or rebuilt, and calculated objects are recalculated... You can find the details in this official documentation.

yingyinr_0-1665135140010.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.