Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Remek1
Frequent Visitor

Incremental Refresh, multiple policy(?)

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering, are there any ways to configure multiple configurations on the SINGLE table?

So for example, I would like to refresh only the last say 1 day on weekdays and a full refresh during weekends?

I Heard this was an option on Analysis Services, but does PBI support something like this through Tabular editor/ DAX Studio or custom M?

Thanks,
Best

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Remek1 ,

I'm afraid that there is no an elegant way to fulfill your needs. If you set incremental refresh for the dataset, there will be an initial refresh operation when you publish the corresponding report to Service. Partitions must be created, historical data loaded, objects such as relationships and hierarchies are built or rebuilt, and calculated objects are recalculated. But the subsequent refresh operations only refreshes the incremental refresh partition(s), so either individual or scheduled are much faster...

Incremental Refresh in Power BI, Part 1: Implementation in Power BI Desktop

All You Need to Know About the Incremental Refresh in Power BI: Load Changes Only

yingyinr_0-1655889474070.png

You can consider splitting the data into historical and current data in two separate tables on the data source side. Then configure schedule refreshes with different date period for these two tables (History table on weekends, current data table on full date period)...

yingyinr_1-1655889523047.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Hariharan_R
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Remek1 

The default incremental configuration policy supports to create multiple partitions on single table. You can use Tabular editor to create different partitions using M code with different filter conditions.

Ref - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/incremental-refresh-xmla

Thanks

Hari

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

My Blog :: YouTube Channel :: My Linkedin

Yes, but my question was more about how, how to schedule incremental refresh with X days during weekdays and full refresh during weekends in an automated fashion, 

Is that even possible?

Hi @Remek1 ,

I'm afraid that there is no an elegant way to fulfill your needs. If you set incremental refresh for the dataset, there will be an initial refresh operation when you publish the corresponding report to Service. Partitions must be created, historical data loaded, objects such as relationships and hierarchies are built or rebuilt, and calculated objects are recalculated. But the subsequent refresh operations only refreshes the incremental refresh partition(s), so either individual or scheduled are much faster...

Incremental Refresh in Power BI, Part 1: Implementation in Power BI Desktop

All You Need to Know About the Incremental Refresh in Power BI: Load Changes Only

yingyinr_0-1655889474070.png

You can consider splitting the data into historical and current data in two separate tables on the data source side. Then configure schedule refreshes with different date period for these two tables (History table on weekends, current data table on full date period)...

yingyinr_1-1655889523047.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.