Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DanielLinda
Helper IV
Helper IV

Html File to Open Report with Chrome Always

Hi All,

I made html file like below using iframe url from Power BI Service.

Is there any html code to make this file always open with Chrome browser? 

<html>
<head></head>
<body>
<h2>Power BI<h2>
<iframe width="1140" height="541.25" src="https://app.powerbi.com/reportEmbed?reportId=2f43a2ce-2b81-4a9f-8bf0-8ae04243cc01&autoAuth=true&ctid..." frameborder="0" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>
</body>
--</html>

I think it could not be proper place that I should upload question but I do not know any other community to ask.

So, please understand if it is not proper and kindly give me any idea.

Thanks always.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @DanielLinda,

This is not really a Power BI question and indeed probably better directed to a forum that has a much better breadth of knowledge for OS adminsitration and web development (such as Stack Overflow), but I'll provide what knowledge I can, and this might give you somewhere to go from here.

I can only speak for Windows but .html files are associated with a default browser at the OS level. To make these files open in Chrome you will need to ensure that every single user has their default browser set to Chrome and they will not change it... or ignore the default and choose to open it in another browser they have loaded (which would be possible).

Only having to support a single browser is a luxury that few are afforded - I've never been in a position to do this and can't honestly think of any colleagues I've worked with that have either.

If you can't guarantee the OS/browser your users are going to be using for your content, the reality here is that you'll need to design and test your content to support modern browsers that your users are likely to use and advise your user of what these are so that they can act accordingly. If you only want to support Chrome, advise them to view it in Chrome rather than anything else.

If you're feeling extreme, you could probably write some JavaScript that blocks content based on user agent, but it's not 100% reliable, mostly due to their ever-changing nature and how easy it is for anyone who feels so inclined to spoof things.

For your provided HTML code, this should work in pretty much any modern browser, particularly if you're embedding Power BI content (as MS will handle this part for you), so you'd only need to worry about whatever else you're surrounding it with. The only snag might be that you are specifying explicit width and height for the iframe, which may not be inclusive if a user's monitor is narrower (or not as tall) as this. There's not an easy solution for this, but you could have a look at a responsive solution like this one.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @DanielLinda,

This is not really a Power BI question and indeed probably better directed to a forum that has a much better breadth of knowledge for OS adminsitration and web development (such as Stack Overflow), but I'll provide what knowledge I can, and this might give you somewhere to go from here.

I can only speak for Windows but .html files are associated with a default browser at the OS level. To make these files open in Chrome you will need to ensure that every single user has their default browser set to Chrome and they will not change it... or ignore the default and choose to open it in another browser they have loaded (which would be possible).

Only having to support a single browser is a luxury that few are afforded - I've never been in a position to do this and can't honestly think of any colleagues I've worked with that have either.

If you can't guarantee the OS/browser your users are going to be using for your content, the reality here is that you'll need to design and test your content to support modern browsers that your users are likely to use and advise your user of what these are so that they can act accordingly. If you only want to support Chrome, advise them to view it in Chrome rather than anything else.

If you're feeling extreme, you could probably write some JavaScript that blocks content based on user agent, but it's not 100% reliable, mostly due to their ever-changing nature and how easy it is for anyone who feels so inclined to spoof things.

For your provided HTML code, this should work in pretty much any modern browser, particularly if you're embedding Power BI content (as MS will handle this part for you), so you'd only need to worry about whatever else you're surrounding it with. The only snag might be that you are specifying explicit width and height for the iframe, which may not be inclusive if a user's monitor is narrower (or not as tall) as this. There's not an easy solution for this, but you could have a look at a responsive solution like this one.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Thanks @dm-p ,

I really appreicate your kind and detail reply, it helps myself to understand what my situation is.

As you commented, it is very togh to handle for BI developer.

Maybe, we will just choose to use IE browser and should understand the performance will be somewhat poor.

Keep well 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors