Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

campelliann
Post Patron
Post Patron

How would you solve this? Daily versions of CSV into PowerBI

Hi there,

I have a CSV that falls into a folder everyday, once a day - with the company staff. I may need to compare different versions of the file so I was thinking in pulling those into Power BI.

I was thinking using a power automate flow to copy the CSV everyday into a new folder, which is a solution I can work with. How would you do this? Would pass the CSVs to a SQL dataBase (is there any gain?)

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hariharan_R
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @campelliann 

Yes you can use Power Automate or any other tools to push your csv files into target folder and using Folder as a source in Power BI - Power query to read all the csv files and build the report.

Yes - you will get more benefit if you use SQL db in terms of data storage and performance. Power BI with SQL is always best since it can leverage the query folding options. You also think on the other side on moving the data from csv to SQL db which may be expensive in your case. 

Thanks

Hari

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

My Blog :: YouTube Channel :: My Linkedin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Hariharan_R
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @campelliann 

Yes you can use Power Automate or any other tools to push your csv files into target folder and using Folder as a source in Power BI - Power query to read all the csv files and build the report.

Yes - you will get more benefit if you use SQL db in terms of data storage and performance. Power BI with SQL is always best since it can leverage the query folding options. You also think on the other side on moving the data from csv to SQL db which may be expensive in your case. 

Thanks

Hari

Hi there @Hariharan_R,

One last question if I may. What mechanisms do I have to automatically move CSV to a SQLdb? 
Do I need to use something like Python (or another language), or does SQL have an inherent mechanism of importing data.

Thanks

Hi

If you need to push data to SQL as onetime then you can use import data option with in SQL. if you need daily then use SSIS or Azure Data Factory.

Thanks

Hari

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors