cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbroida
Regular Visitor

How to use MSAL to create PowerBIClient in C# with AAD application credentials

I'm writing a C# program to perform administrative tasks in Power BI Embedded such as creating, updating, and deleting workspaces, datasets, and reports. I am using the Nuget library "Microsoft.PowerBI.Api Version=3.31.2". It appears I need to create an instance of the Microsoft.PowerBI.Api.PowerBIClient. I want it to authenticate using the credentials of an AAD registered application (not the credentials of a user). I've created an AAD app registration and given it permission to call the entire Power BI API. I have the application's clientid, client secret, and tenantid. But I can't figure out which PowerBIClient constructor to use so that it can utilize the credentials of my AAD application. Apparently I need to pass a ServiceClientCredentials object to the PowerBIClient constructor, but ServiceClientCredentials is an abstract class, and I can't figure out how to use the application's clientid, client secret, and tenantid to construct something that derives from ServiceClientCredentials. The only examples I found searching online use ADAL, but that's deprecated, so if an external library is needed I want to use MSAL. Can someone please show me a code sample showing how to create a PowerBIClient using the credentials of an AAD app, using MSAL if necessary. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rbroida
Regular Visitor

I found the answers in this 30 minute video from SqlBi: Creating a service principal account for Power BI API - SQLBI

I feel flattered that Marco Russo was stumped on this for two days, while I only wasted one. 😀 Microsoft, it would sure be good if the documentation explained this.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
rbroida
Regular Visitor

I found the answers in this 30 minute video from SqlBi: Creating a service principal account for Power BI API - SQLBI

I feel flattered that Marco Russo was stumped on this for two days, while I only wasted one. 😀 Microsoft, it would sure be good if the documentation explained this.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power BI December 2021 Update_carousel 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the December 2021 Updates!

Jan 2022 Dev Camp 768x460 copy.png

Power BI Dev Camp- January 27th, 2022

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!