Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bongmw
Helper I
Helper I

How to trigger Power BI REST API Refresh with Local Time Zone applied?

We are using Incremental Refresh, and intend to use REST API to trigger dataset refreshes.

We found that the "Effective Date" applied during a manual refresh is based on UTC time. Because of this, and with incremental refresh we effectively lose a day of data for several hours of the day (we are on UTC +12 timezone).

We noticed that when we enable Scheduled Refresh on Power BI Service and specify the Local Time Zone, any subsequent manual refreshes with REST API will pull the correct date range of data. However, this introduces an unwanted Scheduled Refresh.

Is there any way to trigger the refresh using the correct Local Time Zone, without having to enable Scheduled Refresh?

Or is there something we are missing?

2 REPLIES 2
bongmw
Helper I
Helper I

hi Lionel,

From the link you have provided there does not seem to be any mention of specifying the time zone info.

I know you can stick the LocalTimeZoneId in when configuring the refresh schedule  

But the refresh API does not seem to offer any thing similar.

We have decided to pursue using TMSL to kick of the refresh, which offers the option of specifying effective date.

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bongmw ,

The refresh time needs to be defined by code in the script. You can use the code to specify the time as the local time, so this problem does not exist.

You can use PowerShell to call the API.

Refreshing all datasets in Power BI using REST API (technovert.com)

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.