Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

az2451
Resolver I
Resolver I

How to replace/remove SVG-Elements by using EventListener

Hi there,

im trying to figure out how to replace/remove svg-elements instead of creating new ones while using an eventListener.

when i move the slider handle to the right, it also moves the line. But for every step it creates new lines without removing the lines which were created before (i only want 1 line on my graph based on the slider handles position)

The start position was 50. i moved it to about 65:

I tried removing the child-elements by using:

d3.select("this.absline.parent").selectAll("*").remove();

but this didnt worked for me.

is there a index-value that i can access to remove all lines except for the newest one?

Or does somebody have a better solution for this?

here is my code:

// mySlider: HTML Range-Slider Element
this.mySlider.addEventListener("mousemove", (event) => { this.getx = parseInt((event.target as HTMLInputElement).value); // getx: number (gets the value based on the sliders handle position)
var rot = 1; // used to rotate the line
// SVG Line-Element var absline = this.g .append('g') .append('rect') .classed('bar', true) .attr("x", absx(this.getx)) // Position on the x-axis based on the "absx"-Scale .attr("width", 2) .attr("y", absy(d3.max(dat, function (d) { return d.counter }))) .attr("height", gHeight) .attr("transform", "rotate(" + rot + "," + absx(this.getx) + "," + absy(d3.max(dat, function (d) { return d.counter })) + ")"); });

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

At first , "this.absline.parent" is not correct. It seems you should use something like this:

d3.select(this.absline.parent).selectAll("*").remove();

We would also recommend not to remove/create an element for each event as adding/removing elements from DOM is a very expensive operation.

It'd be better to keep a single element and change its position for each event.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

At first , "this.absline.parent" is not correct. It seems you should use something like this:

d3.select(this.absline.parent).selectAll("*").remove();

We would also recommend not to remove/create an element for each event as adding/removing elements from DOM is a very expensive operation.

It'd be better to keep a single element and change its position for each event.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Thank you very much.

yes it makes more sense to create 1 static object and change it for each event.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.