Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Log4TurtleShell
Frequent Visitor

How to get Power BI Embedded Capacity ID

I have created a Power BI Embedded Capacity in Azure using the A1 sku. I need to get the ID of this capacity so that I can assign it to my Power BI workspace.

If I call the Azure Management API to get capacities, my A1 capacity is returned in the response, but the ID is a string path to the capacity such as "/subscriptions/613192d7-503f-477a-9cfe-4efc3ee2bd60/resourceGroups/TestRG/providers/Microsoft.PowerBIDedicated/capacities/azsdktest". For the request to assign the capacity to my workspace I need the actual GUID of the capacity.

If I call the Power BI API to get capacities, my A1 capacity is not returned. However a PP3 (Premium Per User) capacity is returned. I am using my Service Principal to get a V2 Aad Token to use with this call to get capacities. Why is this call not returning my A1 sku so I can get the capacity ID? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was able to get the capacity. I had to set my Service Principal as a Capacity Admin as described in the screenshot here, https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-to-apply-Power-BI-Embedded-capacity-to-workspace/m-p/47....

I was then able to get the capacity ID via API call, and assign the capacity to my workspace via API call. However, I am still unable to see my capacity in the Power BI Admin Portal...

EDIT: I am now able to see the capacity in Power BI Admin Portal after adding myself as a Capacity Admin.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Log4TurtleShell ,

You can find the capacity ID in the URL of the capacity management page. In the Power BI service, go to Settings > Admin portal > Capacity settings, then select a Gen2 capacity. The capacity ID is shown in the URL after /capacities/. For example, 9B77CC50-E537-40E4-99B9-2B356347E584 is the capacity ID in this URL: https://app.powerbi.com/admin-portal/capacities/9B77CC50-E537-40E4-99B9-2B356347E584.

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply!

When I go to Capactiy settings there are no capacities listed. Don't I have to assign the capacity to the workspace first?

I was able to get the capacity. I had to set my Service Principal as a Capacity Admin as described in the screenshot here, https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-to-apply-Power-BI-Embedded-capacity-to-workspace/m-p/47....

I was then able to get the capacity ID via API call, and assign the capacity to my workspace via API call. However, I am still unable to see my capacity in the Power BI Admin Portal...

EDIT: I am now able to see the capacity in Power BI Admin Portal after adding myself as a Capacity Admin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.