Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pbiforum123
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to encrypt the salary details in Power BI dashboard

In one of the dashboards we have salary details of all the employees of all the departments. Due to security reasons they do not want to expose the salary of the employees and even for the managers. They can see salary on entire department but not the individual.

Only 2 people of the organization should be able to see the salary of all the employees and individual employee or Manager can see the salary at department level. They have already implemented this security requirement in the Azure. So in the backend also if anyone of this 2 logs in to the database then only they will be able to see the salary details rest won’t be able to see the salary details.

So how can we use encryption feature in Power BI to implement the security. Please help!

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You need RLS (row level security)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler 

Thanks a lot for your response. I understand there is something called RLS through which we can control it. But in my case even developers shouldn't be seeing the salary which those 2 can only see. What I mean if the developers try to "View as Role" with these 2 e-mail they will be able to see the salary details of all the employees which also need to be avoided in my case. 

How they have restricted in database similar way it has to be restricted in Power BI also. Hope it is clear now?

Not especially clear. Are you saying that you have report developers and that they should not see the salary information for those employees while they are developing the report? If that is the case, then the only solution would be to use Direct Query with RLS in the Tabular model. But, even then, who has access to the tabular model and what can they see?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes you got it right... Other than those 2 individuals rest of them should not see anywhere else, be it Power BI or Database. Only those 2 should be able to see in Power BI or Database.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.