Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to do Dynamic RLS in PowerBI without manually entering roles?

My company is trying to do Dynamic RLS for PowerBI Embedded on behalf of our customers, but I am running into some major roadblocks while trying to secure the data.  The requirements/steps of what we are doing are:

• Create reports on behalf of our customers, who in turn give access to the reports to their customers.
  • Our customers create users/logins via our product (which they share with their customers), and assign key-value pairs to said users to act as security.  Example: {"groupId": 123, "region": ["US-West", "US-Southwest"]}
  • When the end-user logs into our application, they should see the embedded report filtered appropriately: group_id = 123 AND region IN ('US-West', 'US-Southwest')
  • Since the data is dynamically generated, and since these key-value-pairs aren't known ahead of time (neither the number of them, the keys, the values, or the data types), we cannot hardcode or hand-enter in roles anywhere (unless there is a static role or two that can be re-used), nor can we re-publish frequently as roles are modified.
  • We are taking the "App Owns Data" approach to embedding PowerBI in our application.

All approaches to RLS I have seen thus far require manual entry of roles/members either into a PowerBI Desktop, PowerBI web, and/or a static table in PowerBI Desktop.  Are there any approaches that will work?  The only option I have seen so far is attempting to embed the key-value-pairs into the embed token's username field (which is limited to 256 ASCII chars only) and somehow parse it using a DAX expression.

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

I consider this requirement not possible, due to this simple fact: RLS is based on roles with rules assigned.

Theses rules are an essential part of the data model and can not be changed during querying.

I thinks the only viable approach is to create something called "JSON script filters", here you will find some more description: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embedded-row-level-security#using-rls-vs-javascript-filters

Of course this is something that I would call: security by obscurity.

As this architecture is a more complex architecture, meaning there are three parties involved I would consider this approach:

• Your customers has to provide you with information about email and the key/value pair
  • something (maybe an Azure function is executed triggerd by an Azure Logic App, the function executes a TMSL script and

voila a new role is created.

I have to admit, that I'm currently not sure if the data model has to be re-processed if a new role is added, my assumption: No!

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@dm-p @TomMartens 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.