Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Susanne
Frequent Visitor

How to create a reference table in VS or tabular Editor

I have a live connexion and aren't able to maken changes in the model through PowerBI. I work with VS (version 16) and Tabular Editor (version 2.16.4)

What: I have a dimension table Date. I need a dublicate of this table in my model.

Options:

*import new date table --if table changes, I need to change 2 tables in my model. I prefer not to. 

*create calculated table --asking more space in the model

*create reference table  -should be perfect solution. It's a copy of the original date table en when there are changes, they automatically will change along with the original date table. 

If I go to date table in tablar model explorer (VS) -->table properties -->Design --> I can to to query--> reference query. But this is not creating a new table I can use to set relations. In Tabular Editor I cannot find anything.

The first 2 I know how to do. But I want the 3rd option. I cannot find anything. Should this be possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Susanne ,

If you are trying to connect to the data source with live connection mode, then it is not available to duplicate the date table by creating a calculated table or going into the Power Quer Editor to copy or reference the table. Perhaps you could consider doing this on your side of the data source (copying the date table). Or you can provide some sample data and the results you want and we will see later if there are other alternatives.

Create a duplicate date table

The Easy Way to Duplicate Tables in Power BI

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TDouglass
Frequent Visitor

is this still the best solution?  I need to do the same thing and wasn't sure if there were any enhancements done.  

goncalogeraldes
Super User
Super User

Hello there @Susanne ! In Power Query you have the option to create a reference table. To do so, open PQ editor and right click on the table you wish to reference and select the "Reference" option. This creates a second table that keep all changes that were made in the original table and will maintain any further change.

goncalogeraldes_0-1634894941234.png

Hope this answer solves your problem!
If you need any additional help please @ me in your reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, please consider marking it as a solution ✔️ or giving it a kudoe 👍
Thanks!

You can also check out my LinkedIn!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Geraldes

Unfortunately I cannot work with Power Query, as I work with a live connexion. Changes in de model need to be done in Visual Studio or Tabular Editor. You have another suggestion?

Hi @Susanne ,

If you are trying to connect to the data source with live connection mode, then it is not available to duplicate the date table by creating a calculated table or going into the Power Quer Editor to copy or reference the table. Perhaps you could consider doing this on your side of the data source (copying the date table). Or you can provide some sample data and the results you want and we will see later if there are other alternatives.

Create a duplicate date table

The Easy Way to Duplicate Tables in Power BI

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

A very unsatisfying, but expected answer. We will import another date table. Thanks for answering though!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.