cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NicolaeGP Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

How to create a custom visualization in visual studio?

Hey,

I've been struggling, for a couple of days now, to understand the architecture behind the custom visualization project available on github. I've looked for turorials on how to create custom visualizations but could only find the one Sachin Patney created in the Dev Tool.

I know I have to create a testVisualization.ts in visuals folder and a testVisualization.capabilities.ts in capabilties folder but what should I do next in order to play with my visualization in the playground?

Can someone create a tutorial on how to create fx. a table visualization in visual studio, add it to the playground and perhaps also export it in .pbiviz file??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JasonDunbar Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: How to create a custom visualization in visual studio?

Hi Nicolae,

Sachin has created a nice tutorial on getting started and this is available on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gtxy5vJ6MI

The documentation is rapidly evolving at the moment and you can be forgiven for not immediately finding what you need in order to progress - I think there's also some assumed knowledge in certain areas, but stick with it, you'll get there.

Oh, just seen as I've been writing this that you posted around 3 weeks ago. How are you getting on now...?

Regular Visitor

Hi Nicolae,

Sachin has created a nice tutorial on getting started and this is available on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gtxy5vJ6MI

The documentation is rapidly evolving at the moment and you can be forgiven for not immediately finding what you need in order to progress - I think there's also some assumed knowledge in certain areas, but stick with it, you'll get there.

Oh, just seen as I've been writing this that you posted around 3 weeks ago. How are you getting on now...?

"This video has been removed by the user."  Smiley Sad

But I found this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa2YLRW5CKo also by Sachin

Regular Visitor

Aha, sorry, the link was active at the time of posting :-)

Thanks for posting a more up to date link.

I have managed to understand how to work with visuals by watching the video you posted. Many thanks.

rohitchaudhary1 Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Is it possible to create cutom visual with color selection for gauge chart dynamically after adding?

I want to create a custom visual same like Gauge chart provided by power BI. I just need an provison to select color of Gaugle line to be set dynamically by user. Is that possible to create such visual just like bar chart in powerbi where user can change colors of each bar?

michaelakelley Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Is there another link?  Both links in the replies are not active.

michaelakelley Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Both links appear to be down.  Is there another link?  My GoogleFu turned up nothing!

Regular Visitor

I searched for three words on YouTube: Sachin; Power BI and Visual - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_thcxwFmH9A

Hi,

The developer tools have been decrepated and they are using Power BI visuals CLI tool. Can anyone provide ant tutorial links on how to create custom visuals using this tool.