Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

savitaa
Frequent Visitor

How to call Oracle stored procedure from Power BI report builder(Paginated Reports)

Hi All,

I need to call an Oracle Stored Procedure from Power BI report builder(Paginated Reports) .  I have created the oracle data source sucessfully. I  am able to run oracle sql queries as well but I am  having issues calling oracle SP.  Could any anyone please let me know the steps and possible provide an example?

Thanks,

Savita

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I was running into this same issue with Paginated reports and this is what I have learned.

• Oracle 12c you can use the DBMS_SQL.RETURN_RESULT(CursorName)
  • Orace 11g its not easy at all or very easy depending how you look at it.
    • Just write a sql statement, yes this can be a maintanence nightmare, but you work with what they give you.
    • Write a function that returns a cursor the use:
      • select extractvalue(column_value,'/ROW/LAST_NAME') LAST_NAME from table(xmlsequence(FunctionName(param)))
      • The above is slow and returns everything as a varchar

For 11g I tried to use pipeline functions, but it still doesn' work once I publish the report and it has to use the on premise gateway.  I am making one last ditch effort to see if the PBI Admins installed the ODP.net correctly on those gateway servers.

I hope this helped.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I was running into this same issue with Paginated reports and this is what I have learned.

• Oracle 12c you can use the DBMS_SQL.RETURN_RESULT(CursorName)
  • Orace 11g its not easy at all or very easy depending how you look at it.
    • Just write a sql statement, yes this can be a maintanence nightmare, but you work with what they give you.
    • Write a function that returns a cursor the use:
      • select extractvalue(column_value,'/ROW/LAST_NAME') LAST_NAME from table(xmlsequence(FunctionName(param)))
      • The above is slow and returns everything as a varchar

For 11g I tried to use pipeline functions, but it still doesn' work once I publish the report and it has to use the on premise gateway.  I am making one last ditch effort to see if the PBI Admins installed the ODP.net correctly on those gateway servers.

I hope this helped.

Thanks so much for your feedback !

RakeshSinghr
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi RakeshSinghr ,

My question is about Power BI report builder for paginated reports and not Power bi Desktop. 

Thanks,

Savita

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.