cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

How to achieve Row-Level Security using PowerBi JS API

I have Power BI Embedded App-Owns data scenario where I have a report configured for Row Level Security, and the report shows different data based on the some of filter parameters I passed from client side. 

When client requests report (request generated from client facing website), server side code generates Embed token (this would be server-to-server call => from my server to PowerBi Service, no data from client space passed to PowerBi Service). I am using PowerBi API to generate Embed token for certain ReportID and DataSet and authentication is taken care correctly.  Now this Embed token is passed to client space and there I am using EmbedConfig to embed report. Something like below: 

const filter = {
        $schema: "http://powerbi.com/product/schema#basic",
        target: {
            table: "table name",
            column: "Organization"
        },
        operator: "In",
        values: ["SomefilterValue"]
    };

var config = {
        type: 'report',
        tokenType: models.TokenType.Embed,
        accessToken: accessToken,
        embedUrl: embedUrl,
        id: embedReportId,
        permissions: models.Permissions.Read,
        settings: {
            filterPaneEnabled: true,
            navContentPaneEnabled: false
        }
    };

However, my major concern is in client-side JavaScript scenario.  If I am a bad actor, I can just use Chrome developer tools (or Fiddler, or whatever) to get Embed Token. Once I have that embed token, I can use PowerBi Embed Playground and pass various filter parameters. I am really stuck at this point, I think, I am missing something.  

I implmented everything according to : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embed-sample-for-customers

Helpful resources

Announcements
May 2020 Community Highlights

May 2020 Community Highlights

It’s time for another PBI Community recap!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Galleries

Galleries

Looking for inspiration on how to present your data? Need instructional videos? Check out our Galleries!