Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

msalerno

How to Update a Report theme via Power BI REST APIs

tldr; How can I update report theme via REST API? 

I have a set of reports residing in muliple workspaces.  Each workspace has a custom theme for the reports (set in Power BI Desktop manually).  As part of my new CI/CD process, I would like to automate publishing PBIX files to each worksapces and set the appropriate theme.   I do not see a way to set/update report themes in the REST API... maybe I am missing it...?  Halp meh!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can't do that, but you can upload reports/datasets into workspaces via the API.  Apply the theme to a local pbix and then upload that.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

why not helpful?  Let the automation tool do its job, even if it means 1000 loops.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can't do that, but you can upload reports/datasets into workspaces via the API.  Apply the theme to a local pbix and then upload that.

I also need a solution for setting up the same report in different workspaces with different themes. As this should be part of a continuous deployment process, changing the theme manually in desktop is not an option.

Therefore I would like to know if there still no solution for this via the API?

Another way I hoped would work is doing it by automatically changing the code of the new PBIP format, but it seems as in Preview, changes outside of PBI Desktop are not recognized.

A third option would be to use the git integration. However it would be neccessary that all theme-related code of a report would be stored in a separate file in the PBIP folder, that would make it possible to ignore this file in the deployment process. Currently this also seems to be not possible.

It would be great if anyone has other ides how to achieve an automatic theme update in the current environment. Thank you!

Hmm... that is not helpful from an automation perspective.  If I have 10 reports and 100 customers, each with different themes, then I have to apply a theme 1,000 times and upload to their customer workspace before updating their customer app. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.